Law School Discussion

Non traditional student question

Non traditional student question
« on: December 22, 2006, 01:17:40 AM »
I have been a police officer in an busy urban city for 5 years.  I did an internship with this same police department in college while getting my B.S.  Due to my separation from college for so long, I only have one professor that really remembers me and we actually stay in touch.  She was my internship professor and taught many of my classes.  She completed a LOR for me...one down.

My second LOR came from my Officer-in-Charge, a Lieutenant, of the evening patrol shift (my shift).  He was very happy to complete one for me and got it done within 3 days of being asked. 

Is this second LOR a good choice? 

I figured, since I exhausted all my academic LOR resources I should go with a work reference.  And I figured my Lt. was the head man when I was working and knew me the best.  I could have probably received a good LOR from the Chief, but he doesn't normally see me in day-to-day work scenarios.

OFF TOPIC: I have posted a thread for my Personal Statement in that subforum. http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,78681.new.html#new I would greatly appreciate any volunteers to critique my personal statement.

Re: Non traditional student question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »
thats what i did. i have been out for school for a few+ years and i got one rec from a prof and one from my current boss. i think you cover both your academic & professional background that way, as long as they write good recs.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »
Definitely a good idea.  I am out of UG by 10+ years so there was no other option but to get a LOR from my employer and others.  After working for 5 years, you are different and have a different perspective than someone who goes straight from UG to law school.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:39:12 PM »
Sounds like a good choice to me. You've got someone in a position of authority who knows your work.

I was out of UG for >10 yrs when I started applying. I went for former employers with advanced degrees (I had two who are Ph.D.s -- not at all law related), and a lawyer that I know write LoRs for me. Sometimes, that's what you have to do.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 11:45:46 PM »
Well thanks for the quick replies.  I feel a little more at ease with my choices.  Your advise is greatly appreciated! :)