Law School Discussion

"See Resume"-Is this bad to put on apps?

jddino

• View Profile
"See Resume"-Is this bad to put on apps?
« on: December 21, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »
Do AddComms care if you put this on your application when warrented?

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: "See Resume"-Is this bad to put on apps?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:12:29 PM »
I made the mistake of doing this to a school I really liked...I just got in anyway. The advice stands, though, don't do it! I was so worried I'd get dinged for it (thank god!)

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »
The NYU dean has said in print that this really irritates him.

Sweetpri

• I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »
Notre Dame's app says that you can attach a resume in lieu of filling out that particular section.  I think it's fine if they say that, but none of my other apps say it so I'll fill everything out on those.

marlinspike

• Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 01:29:46 PM »
As someone who has worked in legal HR, I can tell you that unless they specifically state that you can submit a resume in lieu of filling out that section, you should fill out that section. Basically, in HR, the way it works is ask the question "who do you think you are that you think you can just write 'see resume'" If you don't have a convincing answer to that question (yes, there are some people who can get away with this), you shouldn't put yourself in a position to have that question asked of you.

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 01:46:50 PM »
Notre Dame's app says that you can attach a resume in lieu of filling out that particular section.  I think it's fine if they say that, but none of my other apps say it so I'll fill everything out on those.

Right, that's what I was referring to. If it says you can do it, then that's fine.

Also, if there isn't room in the section, you can say see resume for further explanations or whatever. But you should fill in the blanks if prompted.

Man am I lucky I escaped that one...thank god I didn't do it on other applications after learning!

Sweetpri

• I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 01:58:02 PM »
I work in HR too and that signals laziness to me - 99% of the time I wont consider the application at all.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 01:59:15 PM »
I've done this on a couple of apps where the space provided in the application form was not enough (I think this was for extracurriculars, etc). And if someone gets really irritated about this, I can only shake my head... perhaps I wouldn't want to go somewhere where people think so "in-the-box" anyway...

Pike#11

• I wish I was here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 02:02:08 PM »
If there's not enough space, fill up with the space with your best experience and then put "continued on resume."