Law School Discussion

your thoughts on inflated GPA vs LSAT

theunderdog

your thoughts on inflated GPA vs LSAT
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:27:53 AM »
well just wondering as i've been reading some posts. say you have a 4.0 from a school with a median LSAT in the low 140s and median GPA around 3.3. but your LSAT score is in the high 160s. does the school's reputation matter at that point?

Re: your thoughts on inflated GPA vs LSAT
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:34:54 AM »
I think that your UG has nothing to do with your LSAT as far as how it is interpretted. The median LSAT for your UG could be used to denote the "quality" of your school, and the UG GPA can be used to denote the "grade inflation".

I would say, if you come from an UG with a low median LSAT and high amount of grade inflation, your GPA might not carry as much weight vs.  your LSAT than an applicant from a school with low grade inflation and high median LSAT.

I don't think this is a MAJOR problem, unless you are super borderline.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:37:34 AM »
My pre-law professor told me that if I scored well on the LSAT, it would "substantiate" my GPA, despite the fact that I don't go to a top 20 school.  Then again, all the advice I've received from people at my school has been pretty bad.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 10:38:40 AM »
A median LSAT is in the low 140's? The worst score you can get is 120, so I think low 140's is pretty awful, even if it is technically a median score.

I think that with a 4.0 and an LSAT that low, you're in trouble at a lot of schools, even lower tier schools. If you have a 3.3 and LSAT in the high 160's, you're probably okay at a lot of schools outside of T14.

Your school doesn't matter much. If you go to Stanford or an Ivy, you might beat out a person with similar numbers, but you're not going to get boosted way up above anyone else with similar numbers.

theunderdog

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »
A median LSAT is in the low 140's? The worst score you can get is 120, so I think low 140's is pretty awful, even if it is technically a median score.

I think that with a 4.0 and an LSAT that low, you're in trouble at a lot of schools, even lower tier schools. If you have a 3.3 and LSAT in the high 160's, you're probably okay at a lot of schools outside of T14.

Your school doesn't matter much. If you go to Stanford or an Ivy, you might beat out a person with similar numbers, but you're not going to get boosted way up above anyone else with similar numbers.

dude you obviously didn't read the original post correctly. but that's ok. the example was, a 4.0 and a high 160s LSAT despite the school's averages (low 140s, 3.3 gpa). thanks anywho.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »
"I think that your UG has nothing to do with YOUR LSAT as far as how it is interpretted."

I didn't make myself clear. The "it" in this sentence is the OP's LSAT score. If the average from a school is 150, and the poster scored 165, the 150 average does not devalue the 165. I do agree that the average UG LSAT does mean something with regard to how "strong" an UG school is. If anything, I think a low LSAT average might impact GPA interpretation. It could be assumed that it doens't take as much intellect to get good grades at weak school.

My point was a low average LSAT coupled with a high average GPA indicates grade inflation at a weak school and therefore, an applicants GPA could be devalued compared to other applicants from schools with higher LSAT averages and lower average GPA.