Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weekend PowerScore Class  (Read 573 times)

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Weekend PowerScore Class
« on: December 21, 2006, 12:21:54 PM »
I was hesitant to sign up for the weekend class because it was only being offered 1 week before the Feb 10th LSAT.  They've changed the date so now it's offered 2 weeks before the LSAT.  Does anyone who's taken this weekend course think 2 weeks is a good amount of time to review after the course?  Is it worth it?
University of Toledo 0L

JoeGibbsRedskins

Re: Weekend PowerScore Class
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:30:34 PM »
The weekend course is basically a crash course? I guess it will work as a refresher. I do not think it will you improve you score.

The full length course is designed well. But make sure you get a good teacher.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »
Hmm, I was thinking it might help me improve my score because I'll still have 2 weeks after the course to go over everythinng...
University of Toledo 0L

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:54:22 PM »
It depends on how you study. Taking it RIGHT BEFORE you take the LSAT is, IN MY OPINION, the best way to do it though. The weekend course is short and its really more of a group study session than anything else.

Its worth what you pay for it though.
VIP.

Sharkbait

• Sharkbait Oh Ha Ha
    • View Profile
    • Finding Sharkbait
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »
I took a weekend powerscore class and it had 40 people in it. It was somewhat helpful but in the end I did not have enough time to fully digest what was being taught in teh class. For me, it was not worth the money.

It was later explained to me in that trying to cram something people study 6 months to a year for into a 16 hour crash course is just not reasonable.

IMO taking it right before would not be the best because by then you will have your own method of doing the problems (presumably) so it may just confuse you. If you find something you like, you will not have enough time to practice that method and get it down.

Just my .02
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.....

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 01:12:22 PM »
Well, I've been studying since October and I've used both the LR and Games bibles so I'm already using their methods, it wont be like trying to cram all that studying in one weekend.  I want to take it more to help me understand their strategies better - I suck at LR and I have trouble applying their methods.  Did you use the bibles before you took the class, or were their methods completely new to you?  I didn't want to take the testmasters weekend class because I've havent used any of their materials so I know it would confuse me.
University of Toledo 0L

Java Man

• Good to the Last Drop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 01:14:48 PM »
SharkBait (all),

What if you studied the PS Bibles 2 months prior to taking the weekend course?  I am in the same boat as SweetPri and I am looking at a PS weekend course in Jan (two weeks prior to Feb LSAT).

I just started taking a PT every other day and reviewing Kaplan explanations in between. I do wish PS provided explanations to PTs. But the Kaplan answers are close enough to show the reasoning and logic.

The hard part about any course is deciding about the teacher.  I have called PS several times about the teacher in my area and all I get is the 99th percentile answer.  How can you pre-determine if the teacher is any good?

Oh well!

Counting Beans? (137 / 144 / ?)

Sharkbait

• Sharkbait Oh Ha Ha
    • View Profile
    • Finding Sharkbait
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 01:16:13 PM »
Based on what you said, then yes it sounds like a good idea. Powerscore just didn't do it for me. I was as self studier then took the weekend course. I ended up going with Griffon Prep here in DC.

If you want review it's probably good to do it a couple weeks out to perfect things. But sometimes the teacher can be a little different so just beware of that variable.

Other than that, you sound like you're on the right track!

Sharkbait

• Sharkbait Oh Ha Ha
    • View Profile
    • Finding Sharkbait
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 01:19:13 PM »
Java Man, I agree, the teacher is the unknown.

For me, I had one who was a little nuts. Definately smart, but nuts. He did not want to teach what methods were in the book and taught some of his own instead. Hence why I did not continue with PowerScore. I did not study with Powerscore before, the weekend course was my first encounter with them.

You both sound fine. The weekend course, based on what you've said, doesn't sound like a bad idea, just be wary of the teachers. They are all smart, it's their personalities that you have to be careful of!  :)

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »
Thanks Sharkbait, even if it helps just a little I'll probably still need it.  In addition to my LR suckiness, I am a slowpoke  :(
University of Toledo 0L