Law School Discussion

Poll

Which box would you check given my heritage?

Black
17 (77.3%)
Middle Eastern
1 (4.5%)
Other
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 19, 2007, 11:45:26 AM

Am I Black or Middle Eastern?

suge

Re: Am I Black or Middle Eastern?
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
Given the complicated history that Somalia has to other East African and Middle Eastern countries, I'd be interested to engage you in a conversation about how and why you consider yourself Middle Eastern. Being from East Africa myself, I think that the relationship that sub-Saharan Africa has to that of North Africa and the Middle East is complicated by what it means to be Middle Eastern (is it aesthetics, being a member of the Arab League, or both?).

With that said, I think the the conversation about race and/or ethnicity is an interesting one to have and am glad that it is being had on this thread. I think that you should put that you're black, especially if you grew up in the United States, because you are a member of the African Diaspora and that is what the label of black alludes to.

Now, the complicated relationship that race and ethinicity have with one another is this: they aren't the same thing.Take, for instance, the case of those people who are from North Africa. Up until now, the US Census has defined their race as white, but technically they are "African-American" since they are Africans who live in the United States. See where the problematics of the race/ethnicity divide come into play? This is something that I could write about in more depth than I would like to admit, but will leave my diatribe for another place and time. Until then, I hope you have a fun time figuring what it is that you're going to put on your application(s).

Best,

T

P.S. I wonder why you state that Ethiopia is a different case, separate from that of Somalia and Sudan (forgive me if you've already answered this. I haven't had enough time to read through the entire thread.) I'm curious because most of the debates that go on between academics who study identity in Africa point to the fact that Ethiopia is a Christian nation that holds the beliefs of the Orthodox Church at its heart. If that's the argument you take, then what can be said for those Arabs who aren't Muslim or those Ethiopians who are? Just something I've been thinking about; perhaps you have the answer!
Thanks for your input. It isn't that I consider myself Middle Eastern, but rather that Somalia, as well as Sudan, is considered part of the Middle East. This fact is also why I consider Ethiopia a different case (it isnít considered part of the Middle East).

Concerning the argument regarding religion as a factor, I believe this is how itís seen. While there are Ethiopians that are not Christian and Arabs that are not Muslim, Ethiopia is regarded as a Christian state and most Middle Eastern countries are regarded as Islamic states. While it is argued by some that the percentage of Muslims in Ethiopia is almost equivalent to that of the Christian population, it is still deemed a Christian state. Arabs living in Islamic states that arenít Muslim still live according to the laws of the land -Islamic/Sharia Law. I do believe that religious affiliation plays a great role in the identification of a people based on the fact that so many aspects of ones culture and socioeconomic reality stems from that affiliation. Whether one is an observer of the popular religion in the state they reside, it still has an impact on their life.

The point you raise about ďblackĒ defining those of the African Diaspora appears to be what applications deduce when a person marks black as their race/ethnic identity. It is for that reason that I have checked black or black & white when possible.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2007, 04:40:09 AM »
what ever happened to that provincial deuchbag red"empty"on?

did she get her whip and go back to capetown?

she was superiorly a smarmy one.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2007, 04:47:05 AM »
My father is from Somalia (East Africa). The term "black" usually refers to those with African origins. Somalis are Black in appearance. However, Somalia (as well as Sudan) are considered part of the Middle East. In addition, Somali culture parallels Middle Eastern culture in terms of religion (Islamic) and most other customs.

Filling out LS apps prompted me to question this critically.

To complicate matters even further, my mother is Swedish.

Your thoughts?

somalians are middle easterners.
black is a color.

this ends the debate.

...when black people wake up and realize that they are not slaves to white masters...they will no longer be black...because they never were black.

...and when white people wake up and realize that they are masters of no one...they will no longer be white...because they never were white.

Julie Fern

• great grandpa mccain = warmonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
putz.

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2007, 04:25:53 AM »
 I think 'other' fits you well. 

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2007, 04:53:21 AM »
There is an "other" box.

Use it.