Law School Discussion

Poll

Which box would you check given my heritage?

Black
17 (77.3%)
Middle Eastern
1 (4.5%)
Other
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 19, 2007, 11:45:26 AM

Am I Black or Middle Eastern?

Re: Am I Black or Middle Eastern?
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »
Is there a rule that says you can't check more than one box.  If I were you, I'd check, Black, Middle Eastern, and White (assuming that your Swedish mother is white, I'm not clear whether this is the case though).  Problem solved. 

If you're only allowed to check one box, personally I'd check Black, because although I haven't seen a picture of you, most likely when people look at you based on your physical features they probably see you as Black.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 01:42:23 PM »
I always check more than one box - regardless of whether there is a "check one box" limitation.

suge

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 02:08:37 PM »
Is there a rule that says you can't check more than one box.  If I were you, I'd check, Black, Middle Eastern, and White (assuming that your Swedish mother is white, I'm not clear whether this is the case though).  Problem solved. 

If you're only allowed to check one box, personally I'd check Black, because although I haven't seen a picture of you, most likely when people look at you based on your physical features they probably see you as Black.

When it is possible to check two boxes, I do. However, on some electronic applications, the options are "radio buttons"  instead of "check box" format and only one can be selected.

This reminds me of a funny story. Some time ago, I decided to embrace my right to bear arms and purchased a handgun. The store I purchased it from is located in a rural area.

While I was filling out the paperwork, there was a section that asked for ethnic identity and stated "check all that apply". I checked both Black and White. I finished up the paper work and handed it over.

The gun store clerk, dressed in a plaid shirt and wranglers, stopped when he got to the ethnic identity part and looked up amazed. He pointed to the ethic identity section and said "you sure you want to check both?" I pointed out the part about checking all that apply. He said "I've just never seen that before" and which point I replied casually "It happens".

I have a good laugh every time I think about that story.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 02:18:24 PM »
You're posting on BLSD.  Check black.  If you'd posted on XO, I'd say check Middle Eastern or White.

keepup

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 09:36:28 AM »
I would throw the middle eastern thing out the window. Although somalian culture is similiar to other cultures of the middle east...I dont think it matters when checking what your race is on an application.

Race is just a classification. Youre somali/swedish. Therefore, your race is half-white/half-black. Just because you check black as your race doesnt mean you have to identify with black culture. But whatever you check is up to you...but I think that your choices can only be either white or black.

I can sort of understand your confusion though.

suge

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »
I would throw the middle eastern thing out the window. Although somalian culture is similiar to other cultures of the middle east...I dont think it matters when checking what your race is on an application.

Race is just a classification. Youre somali/swedish. Therefore, your race is half-white/half-black. Just because you check black as your race doesnt mean you have to identify with black culture. But whatever you check is up to you...but I think that your choices can only be either white or black.

Throwing Middle East out as one of the options because it does not "matter when checking your race" is flawed because Somalia is considered part of the Middle East for the very reason of racial affiliation.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether the disclosure of ones heritage is to identify their race or ethnicity while these two words are in essence identical.

Webster's Dictionary:

Ethnic: : of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background

Race: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b : a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics

Another interesting thing to point out is that Somalis, as mentioned in a previous post, are comprised of African & Arab genes. In fact, Somalis trace their genealogy (paternally) to Yemen. I am not implying that Somalis are Arabs but saying that when asked to identify  a race or ethnicity, it is not as straightforward for Africans from countries that are considered part of the Middle East as it is for other ethnic groups.

For the record, I typically check Black when only one option can be selected (electronic apps) Blk & Wht when I can select two. In some occasions I check "other" when I can write a response.

Perhaps one day there will not be any boxes to check. On some level we are ALL the same race/ethnicity - HUMAN

suge

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 12:32:36 PM »
yay humans!

ever think about just writing a diversity statement about your mixed background? it sounds interesting and something i'd want to read

Haven't wrote a diversity statement but did touch on my background in my PS. While I struggled with it earlier in life, I now believe my diversity by far is my biggest asset. In addition to being black and white, my father comes from an Islamic background and my mother comes from a Christian background (love does conquer all). Although my mother is white, she was born and raised in East Africa (maternal grandparents were missionaries) and spoke Swahili before she knew English. I could be the spokesman for diversity.

suge

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
yay humans!

ever think about just writing a diversity statement about your mixed background? it sounds interesting and something i'd want to read

Haven't wrote a diversity statement but did touch on my background in my PS. While I struggled with it earlier in life, I now believe my diversity by far is my biggest asset. In addition to being black and white, my father comes from an Islamic background and my mother comes from a Christian background (love does conquer all). Although my mother is white, she was born and raised in East Africa (maternal grandparents were missionaries) and spoke Swahili before she knew English. I could be the spokesman for diversity.

that is sooooo sweet, stories like that make my little heart flutter - i'm a sucker for 'love conquers all' stories

yeah, my mom came to the US just to marry my dad after dating him for 6 weekends....still together after 27 years. HOW CUTE IS THAT?

It says a lot. My parents also knew each other a short time before getting married at a courthouse. No huge wedding, cake, or extravagant honeymoon. Just two witnesses and $10 dollars for the certificate. They've been married over 30 yrs.

keepup

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 02:02:47 PM »

Throwing Middle East out as one of the options because it does not "matter when checking your race" is flawed because Somalia is considered part of the Middle East for the very reason of racial affiliation.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether the disclosure of ones heritage is to identify their race or ethnicity while these two words are in essence identical.

Webster's Dictionary:

Ethnic: : of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background

Race: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b : a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics

Another interesting thing to point out is that Somalis, as mentioned in a previous post, are comprised of African & Arab genes. In fact, Somalis trace their genealogy (paternally) to Yemen. I am not implying that Somalis are Arabs but saying that when asked to identify  a race or ethnicity, it is not as straightforward for Africans from countries that are considered part of the Middle East as it is for other ethnic groups.

For the record, I typically check Black when only one option can be selected (electronic apps) Blk & Wht when I can select two. In some occasions I check "other" when I can write a response.

Perhaps one day there will not be any boxes to check. On some level we are ALL the same race/ethnicity - HUMAN

1.   Ethnicity and race are not identical…they are totally different despite what you may have put together concerning Webster.

2.   Here is the Webster definition for ethnicity : An ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties.

3.   Somali would be your ethnicity not your race, your race would be black

4.   Race doesn’t even exist, it is a classification that has been created in our culture

5.   Somalia is in East Africa, and therefore your race would be considered black. Somalia is affiliated with the Middle East for cultural and historical reasons.

6.   I do hope that  someday we will have a color blind society….but it wont be in this lifetime

7.   I have to leave to go home but I will come back to this later.

suge

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »

Webster's Dictionary:

1.   Ethnicity and race are not identical…they are totally different despite what you may have put together concerning Webster.

2.   Here is the Webster definition for ethnicity : An ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties.

3.   Somali would be your ethnicity not your race, your race would be black

4.   Race doesn’t even exist, it is a classification that has been created in our culture

5.   Somalia is in East Africa, and therefore your race would be considered black. Somalia is affiliated with the Middle East for cultural and historical reasons.

6.   I do hope that  someday we will have a color blind society….but it wont be in this lifetime

7.   I have to leave to go home but I will come back to this later.

Riddle me this Batman...

“In essence identical” was the term that I used. I would say that “classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background” and “class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics” could be used interchangeably. For you to state “they are totally different” makes absolutely no sense.

2.   Here is the Webster definition for ethnicity : An ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties.

Is “ethnic” not the root word of “ethnicity”?

3.   Somali would be your ethnicity not your race, your race would be black

If Somali is not my race, then according to the definition of race, I do not have a shared interest with other Somalis, nor do I have their habits or characteristics.

I believe that I do have shared interests, habits and characteristics of other Somalis.

4.   Race doesn’t even exist, it is a classification that has been created in our culture.

A lot of things didn’t exist before they were created. Like the LAWS that govern our society.

5.   Somalia is in East Africa, and therefore your race would be considered black. Somalia is affiliated with the Middle East for cultural and historical reasons.

Egypt is also in East Africa. Should arabs from Egypt consider themselves black because their country is in East Africa?

6.   I do hope that someday we will have a color blind society….but it wont be in this lifetime

I can’t argue this point.

7.   I have to leave to go home but I will come back to this later.

I look forward to it.

Thanks for you input.