Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers Newark Acceptance, Anyone?  (Read 473 times)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rutgers Newark Acceptance, Anyone?
« on: December 20, 2006, 03:39:37 AM »
Got e-mail acceptance from Rutgers Newark today when I got home; a relief more than anything.  Probably end up there...anyone else get in or applying and planning on going if accepting?

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers Newark Acceptance, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:56:50 PM »
I got an acceptance email yesterday too.  It was my first acceptance, so I was really excited.  I have quite a few reachier schools I'm applying to, so I'm really gonna hold judgement.  But I would say, depending on the financial aid available to me, I'm seriously considering the offer.

If you do go to Rutgers-Newark, know this:  The best hamburgers in the world are in a bar called McGovern's which is practically adjacent to the law school.  I used to work in Newark. At the time, it was one of the most authentic Irish pubs around, complete with bagpipe bands and gaelic lessons in the back room. Another family (The Hamiltons, I believe) bought it out, so it isn't quite as authentic as it was (Irish pubs shouldn't have dart boards, they are english), but it is still pretty great.  My grandpa got engaged to his first wife there in like 1960, its been around for a while.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:04:13 PM »
My first acceptance was RU-N as well, so they hold a special place for me as well. Their policy on in-state tuition (see my LSN) sure makes them cheap too. It sure makes the rest of the cycle easier, not having the uncertainty.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
Did anybody get aid offers from Rutgers?  How did they come? With the acceptance email? With the packet?  I just got the email, so no packet yet, but I REALLY want aid from Rutgers. I'm Jersey Homegrown, so Rutgers could very well make me offer I can't refuse.

Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 09:41:04 AM »
I recieved a full tuition scholarship from Rutgers-Newark, dependent upon keeping a 3.0 GPA average. This came with the acceptance letter that came about three days after I got the email from them telling me that I was in.

(I found this amusing considering that Rutgers gave me next to nothing for merit aid when I applied for UG - ended up going out of state)

Good luck to all other applicants!

University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 09:44:25 PM »
Holy Crap, I got a full tuition scholarship at RU.  Came with acceptance packet.  Is a 3.0 really hard to maintain in law school?

Sinners:

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »
Holy Crap, I got a full tuition scholarship at RU.  Came with acceptance packet.  Is a 3.0 really hard to maintain in law school?

According to http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/student_handbook.pdf page 28, it says that first year large-section required courses must average between 2.95 and 3.05, but there is no curve requirement on upper level courses. I'm not sure if that means that upper level courses tend to have higher GPA averages, but at any rate, we'd need to be about top 50% in 1L to keep the scholarship for the second year.

I've been thinking about the same question since I got my scholarship offer - a high LSAT  (that we both have) certainly doesn't guarantee a high law school GPA, but how much does it indicate that we'll probably be on the better side of the curve? I'm not really sure.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN