Law School Discussion

UMich v UPenn

Re: UMich v UPenn
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 07:29:35 PM »
Towelie-

How long will it take you to complete your MA? Did you have to take the GRE to be admitted into the program?

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 07:41:13 PM »
Towelie-

How long will it take you to complete your MA? Did you have to take the GRE to be admitted into the program?

Nope, no GRE needed. I haven't been admitted yet, either. I'm applying when I get back from break and should find out in Feb. I'll graduate in the same amount of time, I just have to use my 4 classes I get outside of the law school in Bioethics classes plus take 4 classes related to medical ethics that the law school offers (there are a bunch and I have a whole list to choose from that satisfies the requirement).

jalong

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »
Good discussion Towelie.  It is important to note that at Penn you are take classes at Wharton, which is one of the best business schools around.  There are likely non-profit oriented classes there as well, and one may note that there are a lot of MBAs in government nowadays (this is probably even more valuable if you are a republican). 

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »
Hey, cool, Towelie. I'm applying to the JD/MBE. Do you have any info on the kinds of jobs people work?

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 12:23:42 PM »
Hey, cool, Towelie. I'm applying to the JD/MBE. Do you have any info on the kinds of jobs people work?

Interestingly enough, even though I plan on getting the JD/MBE, I plan to work in corporate law when I graduate. Instead of using the MBE right when I graduate, I am planning on keeping it for later on as I hope to go into academia and teach in an area closely related to law and bioethics. So the JD/MBE would be an investment in the future for me (besides, it is not so taxing as I can't get the education I want in corporate law in addition to a background in bioethics).

As a result of that, I have no really inquired into the type of work most people take on coming out of it, but I will say that from my friends who are applying to it, most hope to work in IP upon graduation. Surprisingly, there is a very large IP contingent here at Penn, which I never expected. Like I said, we get two electives here and the most popular elective for 1Ls was Introduction to IP by a mile.

If you are worried about what you will do with your MBE, I would contact Norah Jones at the Department of Medical Ethics at Penn, but you can certainly have a traditional career if that is what you are shooting for.