Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DEATH  (Read 1038 times)

Cindy

• View Profile
Re: DEATH
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 08:44:28 PM »
Nothing specific.  I like listening to the perspective of others.  One can learn a lot from the experiences of others (even if they've experienced the same thing (it's all about perspective)).

well, i'm also an atheist, so my perspective on death is that it's the end. There is nothing afterward, your body returns to the elements that it is made of and is recycled back into the earth. So you had better make the most of the life you have now.
~Cindy

rojo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 08:46:47 PM »
 :D well, if I were smart, I would delete my account and go do that.
I'm often wrong

rojo - seriously, if and when I have boyfriend problems, I'm coming to you.

Cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 08:49:33 PM »
:D well, if I were smart, I would delete my account and go do that.

haha! very true...I guess I should quit my job and travel the world...but you have to make money to spend money so we're all stuck working during the week and living when we can schedule it in.
~Cindy

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 11:02:28 PM »
 :-\

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 06:29:43 PM »
Rojo,

Which kind of death?  Sudden, unexpected death of a close loved one?

Long drawn out death of a grandparent that was almost a relief?

911 Allah Akbar death? 

10 yr old boy run over by a christmas float death?

There are many !

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 06:31:32 PM »
Has it happend to you or someone you loved?  No one close to me has died yet and I'm not sure how I'll react.

What kind of a question is this?

I wondered about that, too. I mean, if death happened to me I would be very unlikely to respond to this post ...

Why? I mean, if it's like a few days ago and you still felt devastated about it or something I'd understand, but what would be so wrong about generally answering a question like this?

sentimentalhygienist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
Has it happend to you or someone you loved?  No one close to me has died yet and I'm not sure how I'll react.

I wondered about that, too. I mean, if death happened to me I would be very unlikely to respond to this post ...

Why? I mean, if it's like a few days ago and you still felt devastated about it or something I'd understand, but what would be so wrong about generally answering a question like this?

Because if death happened to you, you would be, well, dead!  And they only have access XOXO in hell.  On dialup.

Red Bull Imperator

• Sr. Citizen
  • Redbull sceptrum orbis terrarum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 06:40:02 PM »

I was actually making (some inappropriate) fun of the OP.

"Has it [death] happened to you or someone you loved?  No one close to me has died yet and I'm not sure how I'll react."

I was just poking fun, saying that if death happened to me ( i.e. I was dead), I would be very unlikely to respond ... a bad joke, I know ....
LSAC Report:      $12
LSAT:             $120
Getting accepted: Priceless

sentimentalhygienist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 06:46:24 PM »

I was actually making (some inappropriate) fun of the OP.

"Has it [death] happened to you or someone you loved?  No one close to me has died yet and I'm not sure how I'll react."

I was just poking fun, saying that if death happened to me ( i.e. I was dead), I would be very unlikely to respond ... a bad joke, I know ....

I thought it was funny. 

I don't know why it is so taboo... death is so common (ok, so that's a bit of an understatement) that you think this would be a more banal discussion.  I guess we just hide it away to try to forget about it. 

Though not everyone, my coworkers are currently making bad jokes about an ex-husbands near-death illness. 

Red Bull Imperator

• Sr. Citizen
  • Redbull sceptrum orbis terrarum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
 :)

I think you are right. The reason is pretty much taboo is that we'd rather forget all about it. Just think about your life until now. You dreamed about going to kinder garden, school, having the first kiss, etc. etc. And it all happened and you realized, wow, it's happening. And imagine that one day you are lying in bed and maybe you'll realize, wow, I am dying. And that is a scary thought....
LSAC Report:      $12
LSAT:             $120
Getting accepted: Priceless