Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where else should I apply?  (Read 342 times)

CCC

• View Profile
Where else should I apply?
« on: December 18, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
I'm an Oregon native with a 3.6 GPA and a LSAT of 161. I'm applying to all the Oregon and Washington schools, but what are some schools with a better national reputation that I would have at least an outside shot at?

. . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where else should I apply?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
are you looking to stay in the Northwest or are you open to moving somewhere? Where do you ultimately want to practice?

. . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 04:19:04 PM »
With your numbers, a few schools in larger markets that immediately come to mind are the University of San Diego, Loyola Law School (LA), Temple (Philadelphia), Brooklyn and Cardozo (NYC), and Depaul, Kent and Loyola (Chicago), Case Western (Cleveland), and U of Connecticut. I don't know what their medians are but also maybe look into Denver and CU-Boulder.
Really only the T14 have a national reputation, but these are all very well respected locally. Just make sure you think about where you ultimately want to practice when considering a school.

HTH!

waiting to be converted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 04:30:17 PM »
As scary as the Oregon legal market is, if you want to have a reasonable chance of working in the PNW after graduation, you're better off sticking with one of the schools in that region.  Unfortunately, with your numbers, you most likely would not get into a school that could give you good options to return to that area. 

That said, if you're ready to move to a different area for a while, pick a couple regions that you're interested in relocating to and apply to the schools that match your numbers.     

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 09:38:22 PM »
With your numbers, a few schools in larger markets that immediately come to mind are the University of San Diego, Loyola Law School (LA), Temple (Philadelphia), Brooklyn and Cardozo (NYC), and Depaul, Kent and Loyola (Chicago), Case Western (Cleveland), and U of Connecticut. I don't know what their medians are but also maybe look into Denver and CU-Boulder.
Really only the T14 have a national reputation, but these are all very well respected locally. Just make sure you think about where you ultimately want to practice when considering a school.

HTH!

I think this is an archaic way of looking at things these days.  Vandy, USC, UCLA, Texas, even BU, BC and GW ... these are all schools that have name recognition in major markets.  You will get an interview at any firm if you do well at these schools.  You may not have firm reps visiting your school from every major firm ... but for example, Cravath even visits UNC and Kentucky!

That being said, OP look at american, UC Hastings and Davis and yeah Colorado and Denver.  I would second Temple as well ... Philly is pretty sweet these days, and from what I could tell cheeper than NYC by a whole lot.  And I guess the only higher competition would be Penn. 
But what people have said about the PNW seems to be true ... it seems to be a very closed region, with the schools placing a large number of their students in the region.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...