Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some advice for high school students thinking about Law School  (Read 5104 times)

Zinfandel

Some advice for high school students thinking about Law School
« on: December 17, 2006, 12:30:48 AM »
Bankers make twice as much money as lawyers at the best firms so go into banking instead. I don't want to see any of you around here ever again.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Some advice for high school students thinking about Law School
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:31:58 AM »
kids, this sort of guy that hang around playground and they warn you to avoid.

now you know.

Julie Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • great grandpa mccain = warmonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 08:20:52 PM »
putz.
if want "change," stop following republicans off cliff.

kenny32

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're sorry I'm sorry Everybody's sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »
Narrator: You had to give it to him: he had a plan. And it started to make sense, in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Tyler Durden: Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.

John Galt

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:56:16 PM »
Bankers make twice as much money as lawyers at the best firms so go into banking instead. I don't want to see any of you around here ever again.

not true. Wachtell starting salary + bonus = $300,000. I think that's on par w/a starting associate at Goldman.

In general, though, its true. Its terribe too cause lawyers at big firms work just as many hours.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 02:16:32 PM »

not true. Wachtell starting salary + bonus = $300,000. I think that's on par w/a starting associate at Goldman.

In general, though, its true. Its terribe too cause lawyers at big firms work just as many hours.

FWIW, my friends and I were talking about law vs. i-banking jobs, and they said that Goldman Sachs compensation package for starting associates was 150k.  However, if I remember correctly that includes bonus, stock, profit sharing, etc. I'm pretty sure it varies from individual to individual, school to school, and from department to department because he couldn't get over the "what do you mean all starting legal associates make the same base pay?" deal.

MBAs get a lot more, though.  I want to say 200k + 75k bonus, but I think it ultimately depends on what your precise job title is and whether you were with the company before you got a MBA.

(We were drinking a lot over this converstion.  As you can tell.)
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 02:19:20 PM »

I'm not so sure.  I'll dig into it, though.  I get the impression the big differences are at the exeuctive level, which if you value your sanity, you don't want to reach in either field.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

John Galt

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 02:37:02 PM »

I'm not so sure.  I'll dig into it, though.  I get the impression the big differences are at the exeuctive level, which if you value your sanity, you don't want to reach in either field.

agreed

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
putz.

you've made me laugh, julie. :)

that good, although, unfortunately, that fake julie you quoting.

you should lay off fake women, especially kind have blow up.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 04:00:15 PM »

I'm not so sure. I'll dig into it, though. I get the impression the big differences are at the exeuctive level, which if you value your sanity, you don't want to reach in either field.

agreed

julie not understand:  what this got do with julie?