Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JUNE or OCTOBER LSAT?  (Read 1777 times)

eb23air

• View Profile
    • Email
JUNE or OCTOBER LSAT?
« on: February 26, 2004, 04:53:54 PM »
Hello all,

I am a senior at NYU and I was sure about taking the June LSAT, but I saw my adviser and she said since I'm taking 4 undergrad classes now, it might be better to take the LSAT in October during my year off when I'm working.

My only concern was I wanted to get my applications out early, and I wanted to have a chance to take the LSAT a 2nd time if need be.

What test day is better?

Thanks

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JUNE or OCTOBER LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 10:50:32 PM »
If you're wanting to apply early, you should take it in June. It may be difficult to study and prep for the LSAT, but if your score is not where you'd like it to be, you can retake in October and still be able to submit for early consideration. 

I understand your advisor's point of view, but if it were me, I'd definitely leave me options open to retake.

Karen W.

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 09:32:28 AM »
I decided for June myself.  If nothing else, consider that you can show up for the test at noon rather then 8 in the morning.  for me, not having to wake up superearly will do much to prevent test anxiety the night before.

also, even with 4 classes you should have plenty of time to study.  if you can put an hour a day in until test day, i guarantee that will be enough.  I think everyone is limited by their own ability and even if you studied LSATS for 10 years you would probably not improve much over what you will gain in the initial months.

i have done an hour a day, with 2 or 3 hours on saturdays (none on sunday/friday) that for the past month and a half or so and feel i could probably take the test within a month if i had to.  i also work 40 hour weeks, go to the gym, and take care of an infant, so there is plenty of time.

dont put off for tomorrow what you can do today, and think how nice it will be to relax and work on your personal statement, LORs, and get those apps in on the first day they will take them while all of your peers are sweating it out.

best.

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 10:59:41 AM »
In my opinion, DO NOT TAKE the LSAT until you are ready to devote at least a month of studying an hour every night and a couple hours each day on the weekend.  This is unless you are satisfied with mediocrity and want to go to a state university.

This is how I see a June testing play out... You study now, while you are trying to finish college and do all that fun stuff that you are entitled to do after 4 years of studying.  Then you take the LSAT in June when you are only semi prepared, thinking in the back of your mind that you can always take it again.  This will become a self-fufilling prophecy, and you will, indeed, need to retest when you get your score.  Only now you have to bring up your score a LOT because most schools will average the two scores.  So, if you first got a 160, you will have to retest at a 170 (98th%) just to average a mediocre 165.  Not so easy.

As you can imagine, I am advocating an October testing where you are prepared and focused.  It is MUCH easier to study more beforehand than explain away a poor score or try to improve your score by 10 points the second time around. 

When I took the LSAT this February, I devoted my life to that damned thing for the month before.  I also took a class to help make sure I was on schedule and to arouse my competitive instinct.  But it didn't just end it there--I took tests on my own time and spent a lot of time looking at my wrong answers trying to figure out the underlying patterns.  In a nutshell, I was obsessed.  Do you think you have time for that as well as do 4 classes?  Your call.

I am not saying that everyone needs to get as into it as I did, but it all worked out ok for me.  I and my 171 are going to have a LSAT book bonfire this weekend.

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 09:02:55 AM »
I think 165 is the 93rd% so I would hardly call it mediocre.

Obviously you need time to prepare.  some people probably need more practice then others, but the point i was making is that you do have plenty of time with 4 college classes (assuming you dont have a job).  its just a question of weather you want to put the time in now, or put it off until later.

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 10:36:19 AM »
Yeah, thanks for pointing out that 165 is a great score.  I didn't mean to be snobby--I just thought that someone from NYU would be aiming higher than that.  My post was really just tailored to that specific situation. 

I agree.  Studying is necessary whether it is done now or later.  However, I think that someone who is taking four classes and trying to do well at them should focus on one thing at a time.  There is no benefit to spreading yourself too thin and doing everything half-arsed.