Law School Discussion

What would you do?

What would you do?
« on: December 15, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »
I am kind of freaking out here.  I put together these really nice binder and sent it to 3 of my former professors, with a letter asking for an LOR, some examples of my work from their class, a short bio, my resume, my personal statement, and some suggestions for the LORs...I sent them to their offices at school and well I didn't realize THEY ARE ON XMAS BREAK!  I haven't heard from any of them and the packages would have gotten there early this week, now I know why.

Do you think they will get their mail at all?  Should I email them a heads up that I sent the package?  Should I just wait?  i am worried because alot of the schools I have looked at said you need to have you application in by early or mid january to be considered for merit scholarships, I am assuming this means i have to be complete right?  So do I just do my apps and call the schools and let them know what is going on?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 02:59:09 PM »
I am kind of freaking out here.  I put together these really nice binder and sent it to 3 of my former professors, with a letter asking for an LOR, some examples of my work from their class, a short bio, my resume, my personal statement, and some suggestions for the LORs...I sent them to their offices at school and well I didn't realize THEY ARE ON XMAS BREAK!  I haven't heard from any of them and the packages would have gotten there early this week, now I know why..

Do you think they will get their mail at all?  Should I email them a heads up that I sent the package?  Should I just wait?  i am worried because alot of the schools I have looked at said you need to have you application in by early or mid january to be considered for merit scholarships, I am assuming this means i have to be complete right?  So do I just do my apps and call the schools and let them know what is going on?

Alot of profs will stop in at their offices at some point ... most of the profs I know use the time to write and research and stuff, so they are around.  What I would do is give them and email heads up that the info was sent, and ask if they would be able to get it.  Offer to send it to another address and shell out the 5 bucks for another binder and postage. 
Do not call any law schools and tell them that the LORs are late because if they ask you why, you will have to tell them you were slow.  But I wouldn't worry, alot of apps are sent in Jan ... all the Dec LSAt takers, you'll be right there with them.  Send your apps soon, and ask for expidited LORs.  If the profs liked you they will do it.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 03:29:14 PM »
I am kind of freaking out here.  I put together these really nice binder and sent it to 3 of my former professors, with a letter asking for an LOR, some examples of my work from their class, a short bio, my resume, my personal statement, and some suggestions for the LORs...I sent them to their offices at school and well I didn't realize THEY ARE ON XMAS BREAK!  I haven't heard from any of them and the packages would have gotten there early this week, now I know why.

From my experience (two years teaching at large state University) there are a lot of professors that don't stop by the office over break. Many of them prefer to work at home or go on vacation. You should have submitted these binders a long time ago because once they have them it could still take them a couple of months to write the letter and I'd be very surprised if they did it over break. Sorry for the negativity, but this is the truth from my perspective.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:36:06 PM »
I could see this being the case as well, just didn't really want to freak you out any more.  I guess it might depend on the size of your school and where you are located.  Im at a small-ish school in a small-ish town so most of my prof's are around alot.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
Well I decided to concentrate fully on the LSAT and never thought about break.  I plan on emailing them on Monday.