Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have no idea how to pay for law school.  (Read 8987 times)

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
Re: I have no idea how to pay for law school.
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
Ok, for anyone that can help me, I have what is probably a stupid question..  On the FAFSA, you can only add 6 schools.  I am applying 11.  It said when you get it back (the SAR) or whatever, you can apply to more.  From what I can tell, in order to do so, I have to erase the original 6 schools on my list.  I am confused.  :-\

Once you get it back, the info has already been sent to the first 6 schools.

*whew*  Ok good.  I didn't want to erase them if they hadn't.  Thanks, qc.  You're the best.  :)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2007, 02:20:52 PM »
I don't understand why we have to go through so much paperwork. I mean, isn't there a box somewhere I can check that says "I have no money and my parents aren't helping me"?
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2007, 03:01:47 PM »

My question is, once you get your actual numbers in from your W2, do you have to redo this whole process again? I mean, send it to the first six again, then wait to get it back, then send it to the next six.

I have no idea, but my thinking says that by the time you've filed your taxes and updated your SAR, you've narrowed your school list down a bit either from hearing rejections or withdrawing apps from safeties you don't need.

Yeah ... that's why I think I'm just gonna wait.  By the beginning of february I should pretty much know where I'm going - or should at least be able to narrow it down to 6 or less :-P

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2007, 06:13:28 PM »
what's "need access"?  ??? ive never even heard of it

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2007, 06:18:21 PM »
what's "need access"?  ??? ive never even heard of it

Same here ... I'm thinking that I should get enough loans/grants from FAFSA combined w/ scholarships from schools ... I mean, I haven't taken any loans out before anyway, so I can't be over the limit yet!

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
FAFSA I don't believe is going to get you grants anywhere, just federal loans.  NeedAccess is what some schools make you do to apply for grants, and others use CSS/PROFILE. I don't think anyone uses just the FAFSA to apply to for institutional grants. I may be wrong about that though!

I got a grant through FAFSA (I think... I don't even know where my $ comes from anymore), but that's for grad school, not professional school. Don't know if it matters.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
FAFSA I don't believe is going to get you grants anywhere, just federal loans.  NeedAccess is what some schools make you do to apply for grants, and others use CSS/PROFILE. I don't think anyone uses just the FAFSA to apply to for institutional grants. I may be wrong about that though!

I got a grant through FAFSA (I think... I don't even know where my $ comes from anymore), but that's for grad school, not professional school. Don't know if it matters.

I think the FAFSA is used to determine grant aid from schools, but you don't get grant money from the government.
Yale.Law.School.2010

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2007, 03:40:03 PM »

I think the FAFSA is used to determine grant aid from schools, but you don't get grant money from the government.

Actually I think for UG it is used for some grants like the Pell, but I don't believe there are any like that for law school. It's pretty much just the Stafford and Perkins.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »

Actually I think for UG it is used for some grants like the Pell, but I don't believe there are any like that for law school. It's pretty much just the Stafford and Perkins.

I forgot about Pell grants.  Yeah, I think those are only for undergrad as well.  C'mon institutional scholarships!!!
Yale.Law.School.2010

Brett McKay

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Frugal Law Student
    • View Profile
    • The Frugal Law Student
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2007, 11:57:10 PM »
I did a post on accepting full tuition waivers from lower ranked schools over at The Frugal Law Student (http://frugallawstudent.blogspot.com) To sum it up,  if it's too good to be true than it probably is. There's always a catch. In many instances, 3rd and 4th tier schools that offer attractive financial aid packages require you to maintain a 3.0. The problem is that the curve at these schools is set at a 2.75. That means vast majority of students that have scholarships won't keep them. Check out the post for more details. http://frugallawstudent.blogspot.com/2006/12/be-careful-with-tuition-waivers.html

Also, Frugal Law Student is a great resource for ways to save money in law school so you don't have to take on so much debt.