Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have no idea how to pay for law school.  (Read 9153 times)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
I have no idea how to pay for law school.
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
I went to W&M undergrad on a full scholarship and know absolutely nothing about Stafford, FAFSA, Pell, or anything similar. All I know is that I plan on taking out a loan and paying it back after law school. How does one go about doing this? Do I fill out a FAFSA (I have no idea what this is), do I contact a bank? If so, when? I'm out of college, so I can't just ask an advisor. Please help.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: I have no idea how to pay for law school.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 01:39:08 PM »
The borrowing limit on the Stafford Loans is only $18,500 per year, though.  If you need to borrow more after this, there are a number of private places that lend money for law school; your school should have a list of them through the financial aid office.  I'm personally with Access Group, but it pays to shop around to make sure you get the best terms possible.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 03:55:49 AM »
I am wondering if I can get loans for law school that will cover living expenses and rent payments. Do you think its possible?
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:31:02 AM »
I'm signing up on this thread.  Only difference is, I'm not a US citizen, and I have no idea how I'm going to procure loans without a co-signer.  Shoot me.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:47:18 PM »
I am wondering if I can get loans for law school that will cover living expenses and rent payments. Do you think its possible?

My undergrad loans always took this into account. I've basically lived off loans (and scholarships) for the past three years without a problem. Well, except for December, which is when I usually run out of money until the check for January arrives.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:25:35 AM »
I'm signing up on this thread.  Only difference is, I'm not a US citizen, and I have no idea how I'm going to procure loans without a co-signer.  Shoot me.

this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »

Thirded.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 05:13:42 PM »
Same here.  I did my bachelor's and master's in the US as well, and always chose the lesser-ranked school with full-tuition over higher-ranked school with partial/no scholarships.

Anyone figures out creative loan ideas, let me know.  Best I can offer is buy an undervalued real estate property (i.e., house), do cosmetic repairs, re-appraise and get a home equity loan for the higher appraised value (at 7-8%).  But that presume current income to be able to buy/finance the property and make repairs. And real estate skillz.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 05:19:21 PM »
Same here.  I did my bachelor's and master's in the US as well, and always chose the lesser-ranked school with full-tuition over higher-ranked school with partial/no scholarships.

Yeah, but law school decisions are a bit different. Going to Harvard with no money and Penn with lots of money is a tough decision, but I'd choose Harvard because my earning potential seems to be larger than from Penn by enough to make it worth it. This is only from anecdotal evidence, though, I have not researched any sort of numbers along these lines.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 05:23:16 PM »

Yeah, but law school decisions are a bit different. Going to Harvard with no money and Penn with lots of money is a tough decision, but I'd choose Harvard because my earning potential seems to be larger than from Penn by enough to make it worth it. This is only from anecdotal evidence, though, I have not researched any sort of numbers along these lines.

I suppose I should have replaced "chose" with "had to attend" in that quote.  I did not even apply to Harvard et al because I CANNOT go.  There are no financial aid options out there for non-US citizens to take out 90K+ in loans with no significant assets to their name.  It's not even an choice.  Heck, I may not even be able to afford UT, and they gave me a scholarship :(
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya