Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have no idea how to pay for law school.  (Read 9240 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Re: I have no idea how to pay for law school.
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »
I think that's the case.  Canada loans for Canadian students at Canadian schools.  Pretty much screwed if you attend in the US.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »
We're all in agreement that student loans have deferred payments.

This thread is mostly geared towards non-US citizens and how they can't get students loans.  Jhuen asked why they don't just go get standard loans (like the kind you get for a car or debt consolidation).  My reasoning against that was because they require immediate repayment, usually don't lend a large sum of money, and have a higher APR.

Of course no one wants to pay for law school with a credit card, but if you read through this tread, you'll see that non-US citizens might just have to do that.

Are there no student lending services in foreign countries?  I would suspect that Canada would certainly have student lending services (though perhaps they're limited for in-country use?). 

Extremely limited.  Read further up in this thread -- I discussed it.

Boss is almost right.  There are two sources of Canadian loans for studies in the US.  The first are government loans.  The school has to qualify, and you are only eligible for $70K (Canadian) over your lifetime, including any debts you may have incurred during your undergraduate studies.  You're also only eligible for about $13K (Canadian) a year.  The other source is called CanHELP.  They're notoriously difficult to deal with, but they do allow up to 20K US per year without a co-signer... that is, if your credit is to their satisfaction.  If it isn't, you need a co-signer to borrow money from them.

There is now a third option (can't quite remember its name, but I have it bookmarked).  Unfortunately, it's very new, and because it tries to deal directly with the schools rather than giving you the private bank runaround, it takes a while for new schools to be registered with the service, and that doesn't even ensure that all your needs will be met.  This option is probably not feasible for anyone who wants to go to anything less than a major "name" school.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »
J:

Can you apply for US residency immediately, attend school for one year as an international student, and then get residency for your second year?

Or do the same bull rules apply for US citizenship (must have a reason to be in the US that isn't educationally-related)?

Bingo.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »
J:

Can you apply for US residency immediately, attend school for one year as an international student, and then get residency for your second year?

Or do the same bull rules apply for US citizenship (must have a reason to be in the US that isn't educationally-related)?

Bingo.

I'll marry you, if you want/need.

You're doing the cooking and laundry, though.

Hmm, now that's a creative idea!  But, ethical issues aside, I'm not sure that a gay marriage will help at all in getting a green card.

Bingo.  I've actually thought about this.  hahaha

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »
Read the fine print carefully on this site...I know someone who used this lender and just the thought of their interest rates sends my blood pressure up...

http://www.globalslc.com/orgMain.asp?orgid=206

Or you could limit yourself to schools in Massachusetts...

http://www.mefa.org/getALoan/graduateLoan.aspx

That's about all I've got...
J, sorry to hear CanHELP can't help...yeah and I know you haven't heard that one before...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »
CanHELP might be able to help, but I won't know until I apply for assistance, which is too late to put me at ease.  And even then, they're a pain.

Oh, and Global SLC was the "other company" I was talking about.  I know the interest rates are high, but frankly, I'm not too concerned with interest rates.  Beggars can't be choosers.

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2007, 09:35:44 PM »
tag

namco19

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2007, 03:43:43 AM »
I'm looking for some definite consensus on this one:

on the FAFSA, include parental info or no? I think no, but I just want to hear from people who have already submitted it.

I submitted my FAFSA with my parent's estimates, it's in being processed. The EFC was around 10000. The thing is my parents don't help out with my financials - is it possible to take out my parent's info? Is that a good thing to do? I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2007, 08:25:56 AM »

on the FAFSA, include parental info or no? I think no, but I just want to hear from people who have already submitted it.

I submitted my FAFSA with my parent's estimates, it's in being processed. The EFC was around 10000. The thing is my parents don't help out with my financials - is it possible to take out my parent's info? Is that a good thing to do? I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

There are a series of questions on the FAFSA that ask you about yourself. (Your age, whether you've been in the military, etc.) The answers to those questions should have determined whether you needed to include parental information or not.

If you are in undergrad or you are under a certain age you need to give your parental info.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »

What Zamora said.

Though, if you got to the prompt that said "You are not required to include parental information", and you included it ANYWAY, then you can file a corrected FAFSA (details on the FAFSA site).

Just because you include the parental information anyway doesn't mean that you filed incorrectly - you are not *required* to include it, but it doesn't say NOT to include it.  I'm going to include it just in case ... b/c there is no way any reasonable person is going to think I'm financially independent when I made 0 dollars last year and didn't even file for taxes.  But they MAY think that my mother is rich in this case ... but I'm going to fill out her info so that they see she/we are low income.

Worst case scenerio - they disregard her information.  Oh wells.