Law School Discussion

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Baltimore Will Do Anything To Keep Black People Off Its Police Force.
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »
Natural hair is unprofessional. Black women should perm. Also, brown skin is likewise unprofessional. We should all bleach.

:D

I just have a hard time believing that the reason cops in Baltimore don't get a whole lot of respect has much to do with their hairstyles, I guess.  I'd be interested in seeing those studies.

i understand that you have a hard time believing it...im guessing because you've never been to Bmore...i didn't say it was the only reason i said it was the most cited reason...you've just been robbed at gun point in broad f-en daylight your looking for a cop because you hope maybe they can catch the guy or just because your scared... who are you gonna go to... the fat guy, with donut sugar on his shirt, sportin' gold teeth and "westside" tatted across his neck 'leanin in some hood rats car tryin' get a rap (while you were getting robbed by the way..i know u think im exagerating but i promise you i'm not)... or some neat, squared away, professional appearing, fresh pressed, shoe shinin' good lookin' officer?  ;D

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 03:56:34 PM »
Natural hair is unprofessional. Black women should perm. Also, brown skin is likewise unprofessional. We should all bleach.

:D

I just have a hard time believing that the reason cops in Baltimore don't get a whole lot of respect has much to do with their hairstyles, I guess.  I'd be interested in seeing those studies.

i understand that you have a hard time believing it...im guessing because you've never been to Bmore...i didn't say it was the only reason i said it was the most cited reason...you've just been robbed at gun point in broad f-en daylight your looking for a cop because you hope maybe they can catch the guy or just because your scared... who are you gonna go to... the fat guy, with donut sugar on his shirt, sportin' gold teeth and "westside" tatted across his neck 'leanin in some hood rats car tryin' get a rap (while you were getting robbed by the way..i know u think im exagerating but i promise you i'm not)... or some neat, squared away, professional appearing, fresh pressed, shoe shinin' good lookin' officer?  ;D

I've been to Baltimore, but of course to Camden Yards and the Outsider Art museum.  My class and race betray me again. :D

Personally, I only went to the cops one of the times I was robbed at gunpoint, and I was much more disturbed by their racism and very blatant violations of investigative protocol than I was by the fact that they were slobby old white dudes.  I really don't think hairstyle makes or breaks the credibility of the cops, but, you know, I have to defer to all of you on this.  I do wish police departments would do more to get the behavior of their officers in line, though.  It does seem so much more important.

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 04:41:08 PM »
I have to be honest and say that I really don't understand why anyone is tripping about the hairstyles of the police officers in their community. 

What I don't get is why anyone who doesn't live in the community is quick to protest and get up in arms about something like hair when there's plenty more in Baltimore that could be addressed... Is anyone here willing to sue the school system for their gross misappropriation of school funding? I don't see any outsiders researching the Maryland constitution for what it says about displacement of long-time city residents due to aggressive "urban revitalization"...

Honestly, I don't agree with banning of neatly kept natural hairstyles (since I've been natural for quite a while), but if the BPD felt that's what they had to do at the time to get the attention of the numerous officers who don't value professional looking hair, fine by me. I've long since tired of seeing scruffy officers in public and just because they are doing their jobs, doesn't mean they shouldn't be expected to look the part as well. Perhaps the BPD policy could've been better written - they could have prohibited "unkempt hair and excessive hair color" (for instance) - but it wasn't. Oh well.  The hairstyles of police officers is low on the totem pole for what should be protected in this town. I don't think it's right to say people are "tripping" for pointing out the obvious flaws in the police officers in "their" community, welcoming change and refusing to protest over something as minor as requiring someone to keep their hair looking decent. If anything, the only people "tripping" about the police officer's hairstyles are those who do not live in "this community" who are ready to sue and write letters and such over something that probably needed to have been addressed a long time ago.  With all the other issues in this town, the blood pressure of most city residents is most certainly not going to rise about the admirable - but poorly executed - moves the police department makes to improve the looks of their officers...

EDIT: Exactly, jarhead. I will not complain about the cops in this town being required to look like some other than "corner boys" and "stoop chicks"

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2007, 05:05:35 PM »
I have to be honest and say that I really don't understand why anyone is tripping about the hairstyles of the police officers in their community. 

What I don't get is why anyone who doesn't live in the community is quick to protest and get up in arms about something like hair when there's plenty more in Baltimore that could be addressed... Is anyone here willing to sue the school system for their gross misappropriation of school funding? I don't see any outsiders researching the Maryland constitution for what it says about displacement of long-time city residents due to aggressive "urban revitalization"...

I think you'd best step back before you make any more assumptions about how little I've done.  Why do you think I knew anything about the Maryland constitution to begin with, Inquirer?  It wasn't my middle school civics class.

You can complain that outsiders are chatting on a legal message board about possible legal remedies to what they perceive as a discriminatory grooming policy in the BPD, but I think your outrage would probably be better spent worrying about police misconduct or any legion of other things. 

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 05:44:29 PM »
I think you'd best step back before you make any more assumptions about how little I've done.  Why do you think I knew anything about the Maryland constitution to begin with, Inquirer?  It wasn't my middle school civics class.

You can complain that outsiders are chatting on a legal message board about possible legal remedies to what they perceive as a discriminatory grooming policy in the BPD, but I think your outrage would probably be better spent worrying about police misconduct or any legion of other things. 

Miss P, you really seem like a really cool person, but I KNOW I've never met you - so please refrain from the what "I'd best to do" comments. I won't come at you like a hoodrat, so try not to talk to me like one  ;D

Not to be rude, but do I care at all about the other reasons you know anything about the Maryland constitution? Not in the least.  For real, I didn't even know that you were the one to bring up the constitution in the first place, I just remembered that someone did.

Please believe - I'm far from "outraged" that people who don't live in Baltimore are up in arms about some hair issue.  People should certainly feel free to protect the rights of a police officer to look a mess on the job, that sure sounds like a noble cause to me.  ::) In fact, before I responded to you, I didn't have much to say in this conversation except to share that the cops here tend to look a mess (since I got the distinct sense that not too many of the people who were mad might have thought the policy was just hateful, when it really just seemed to be a poor choice of words), Sheila Dixon might not really be a sellout, and that the policy might do a little bit of good in this town. As I said in my last post though, there are bigger issues in this town than the raggedy hair on the heads of police officers, and if banning unkempt hair boosts the respect level of the cops in this town, that's wonderful to me.

What I was irked about is your comment that people shouldn't really be concerned about what the cops look like in "their community."  I got a "you people are stupid" (for wanting the cops to look like something other than criminals) vibe that I wasn't feeling at all  :-\...

Anyway, I hope that clears up any issues...if not, please feel free to PM me. Peace.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2007, 06:09:59 PM »
My response to Inquirer was out of line.  I'll come back with further apologies and explanations later, but for now -- I'm sorry for snapping.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »
Are people really going to disrespect a cop b/c he has "unruly" hair?  If one pulls me over looking like Lil Jon, I'm not going to start a fight with him...he has a gun...

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2007, 06:24:35 PM »
it presentation man...maybe im just different but there are certain things i expect...i expect strippers not to have bullet wounds and scars from knife fights and to be able to hold themselves up on a pole...i expect that if you're going to take my money you should speak english when there is a problem and i want it back...and i expect, to steal your line inquirer, to have police who dont look like "corner boys" and "stoop chicks".... would you eat lobster and steak if it was served to you on a garbage can lid...its still lobster right and its still steak right...but would you eat it off of a garbage can lid?

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2007, 06:53:36 PM »
it presentation man...maybe im just different but there are certain things i expect...i expect strippers not to have bullet wounds and scars from knife fights and to be able to hold themselves up on a pole...i expect that if you're going to take my money you should speak english when there is a problem and i want it back...and i expect, to steal your line inquirer, to have police who dont look like "corner boys" and "stoop chicks".... would you eat lobster and steak if it was served to you on a garbage can lid...its still lobster right and its still steak right...but would you eat it off of a garbage can lid?

If it were a clean garbage can lid and if I weren't a vegetarian, yes. In a lot of fine restaurants chefs use atypical dinnerware to add to the dining experience.

I'm not even going to go into the bolded!

come on now i've heard of stretching but a clean gar...its not clean its not some avant garde restaurant...this is just silly i think my point is made...

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2007, 06:54:25 PM »
and go into the bolded all you want i stand by my statement