Law School Discussion

Re: Baltimore Will Do Anything To Keep Black People Off Its Police Force.
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 01:58:30 PM »
if you do not see that as a form of discrimination then you have a LOT to learn..

Please read Eatman v. United Parcel Service, 99 Civ. 9523

Employers are allowed to have "appearance guidelines."

Am I understanding you correctly in that if someone is not hired because they have metal in their face that they are being discriminated against?

a man or a woman who happens to be black should not be restricted to permming or pressing her hair..

Nothing wrong with that at all.. we are talking about dreads, not perms or presses.

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 02:01:41 PM »
@ veritas-- i stand corrected.. but again I'm sure u're not the "powers that be"... u have a boss

no problem.. I am not tryin to start crap and am only trying to say that, while not necessarily the righ thing, we are judged first by how we look (i.e., dress, hair, etc.), especially in the legal (law firm) community.

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 02:04:11 PM »
if you do not see that as a form of discrimination then you have a LOT to learn..

Am I understanding you correctly in that if someone is not hired because they have metal in their face that they are being discriminated against?

a man or a woman who happens to be black should not be restricted to permming or pressing her hair..

Nothing wrong with that at all.. we are talking about dreads, not perms or presses.

what she meant was that they should not be relegated to putting chemicals in their hair instead of being natural to keep up with appearances.

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »
hair.. afterall this is what this thread topic is about correct? I haven't said one word about a person having metal in their face.. but on the flip side of that.. one of my good friends has a piercing the size of a mole on the right side of her face and also has locs... works for a major hospital in the city of Chicago...i am very familiar with Eastman v UPS...

just an fyi though.. i don't pull cases out of my ass on message boards.. at the end of the day we all have our opinions ..and each of us can find a case to support or dissent one's view... i'd rather get paid to do that than go back and forth on here..i choose rather to speak on my own personal experiences..and statements of fact...

and Celie... thank u for correcting veritas on my point regarding hair str8ing

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »
what she meant was that they should not be relegated to putting chemicals in their hair instead of being natural to keep up with appearances.

I understand.. But if I dont put anything in my hair in the mornings, I would look like Bozo..

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
i choose rather to speak on my own personal experiences..and statements of fact...

no worries =-)

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »

I understand.. But if I dont put anything in my hair in the mornings, I would look like Bozo..

better that you look it, than act a clown

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »
listen im am all for doing you...i've never been one to judge people by their appearances and i think that certain white people see braids or locks or anything but a nice straight perm and become threatened (this n word doesn't look like the singing and dancing type) and or stereotype...but i think that certain jobs require a professional appearance in order to be effective and being a police officer is one...not to mention that they advise you of their grooming standards and make you sign something saying that you will comply with them before your hired...maybe its me and maybe some of my Marine Corps obsession with looking good is spilling over...but when i see a police officer with tatoos and shyte all around his neck and up and down his arms with a bushy ponytail held back with a rubber band i do not respect him as much as i do one who is clean cut neat, in shape and wearing a well fitting uniform...and i think i've already stated that neat well kept, locs twists whatever are fine imo so i don't know how much more i can clarify that position...i have tatoos but when i put on my suit and go to work you can't see them, i wear earings but not to work, on casual fridays i don't wear my jeans hanging down past my ass etc. etc....i understand there are legal issues here but anybody who has been to Bmore can tell you its pretty much lawless...police get no respect...people do what they want and all the polls/research etc. they've conducted in the city on this matter resulted in citizens stating that they have no confidence in police because most of them look like trash...which is why the policy was finally enacted after many less restrictive "suggestions" were ignored by certain officers...they are tyring to clean up the city and they want a police force that doesn't look like they just stepped out of a cash money video...and having lived in that city for one short year...im not mad at them...if you haven't been there you really wouldn't understand...

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2007, 03:23:47 PM »
Natural hair is unprofessional. Black women should perm. Also, brown skin is likewise unprofessional. We should all bleach.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »
Natural hair is unprofessional. Black women should perm. Also, brown skin is likewise unprofessional. We should all bleach.

:D

I just have a hard time believing that the reason cops in Baltimore don't get a whole lot of respect has much to do with their hairstyles, I guess.  I'd be interested in seeing those studies.