Law School Discussion

Re: Baltimore Will Do Anything To Keep Black People Off Its Police Force.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »
there is really nothing unkempt about having your locs pulled back into a ponytail..

Police should not be allowed (less undercover types) to have locs or the like. It looks very unprofessional.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2007, 01:06:35 PM »
there is really nothing unkempt about having your locs pulled back into a ponytail..

Police should not be allowed (less undercover types) to have locs or the like. It looks very unprofessional.

And I suppose you are the authoritative source on what looks professional?

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »

It looks unprofessional?  To whom?  By whose standards?
You know what looks unprofessional?  Hassling the teenagers on my block, parking in the middle of the street, turning the lights and sirens on to beat a red light, and yanking your ill-fitting uniform pants up by one hand.

I realize you're essentially a troll, but come on.

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »

And I suppose you are the authoritative source on what looks professional?
:D beat me to the punch Alci

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 01:14:24 PM »
said by the person that doesn't have the ability to hire and fire anyone with a career in law enforcement..governmental agencies.. or the legal community...

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »
I'm not a troll and am giving my opinion, just like the people here who start a post about how "'black people' can never get ahead." We all have our opinions. And yes, I do work in a "high paying position" where I manage people and have a few things I find unprofessional:

- Men who wear earrings or who have exterior body metal hanging from their face.

- Men with any type of pony tail; loc or otherwise

- Women who feel it necessary to expose certain areas of their bodys with clothing that does not fit.

- Men/Women who wear TOO much perfume / cologne. I'm talking enough to smell from many cubes away.

- Open-toed shoes

- Exposed tattoos of any kind

You have to remember that when you work in certain capacities you are representing not only yourself, but also your law firm.

Unfortunately, and in law, we are judged by how we dress and how we carry ourself.

I could not imagine a law firm looking positively upon an interviewing applicant sporting locs, exposed tattoos, earrings, or face metal.

I could be wrong.

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »
I'm not a troll and am giving my opinion, just like the people here who start a post about how "'black people' can never get ahead." We all have our opinions. And yes, I do work in a "high paying position" where I manage people and have a few things I find unprofessional:

- Men who wear earrings or who have exterior body metal hanging from their face.

- Women who feel it necessary to expose certain areas of their bodys with clothing that does not fit.

- Men/Women who wear TOO much perfume / cologne. I'm talking enough to smell from many cubes away.

- Open-toed shoes

You have to remember that when you work in certain capacities you are representing not only yourself, but also your law firm.

Unfortunately, and in law, we are judged by how we dress and how we carry ourself.

I could not imagine a law firm looking positively upon an interviewing applicant sporting locs, exposed tattoos, earrings, or face metal.

I could be wrong.

I know there are some lawyers with locs...

Mrs. Troy or Blk, didn't yall post the cv of a blk woman with locs at one pts?  Can yall dig that up?

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
rereads last post

ok.. I don't see anything where I claimed that you did or did not have a high paying position..and didn't work in the capacity of management at your job..

however I did have a claim that you do not work for governmental agencies.. law enforcement.. or the legal community.. to be more specific-- as a hiring partner...

so needing to state that you have a high paying job is irrelevant to my previous post...

- Open-toed shoes

I could be wrong. --you are.. and i am glad that you recognize that..if you do not see that as a form of discrimination then you have a LOT to learn.. a man or a woman who happens to be black should not be restricted to permming or pressing her hair.. (or keeping a low cut ceaser if we're speaking men) just so that they can land a job.. their intellectual prowess and abilities speak for themselves..regardless of how their hair looks...

and even though I've said many times on this board that i absolutely hate cornrows on men.. and i think that they shouldn't wear them.. IF said man is discriminated against in the workplace because of his hair and the stance he takes due to it.. i'm not going to shun him even though i disagree with the rows in theory...

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 01:51:53 PM »
however I did have a claim that you do not work for governmental agencies..

I do.

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »

i'm one of them lol.. but Ms Troy posted that link.. the woman was a yale grad with long beautiful locs..in her 30s I believe.. not sure where the link is because i couldn't find it in the hair thread..perhaps it's in the interview thread ..

@ veritas-- i stand corrected.. but again I'm sure u're not the "powers that be"... u have a boss

- Open-toed shoes

I could be wrong.

I know there are some lawyers with locs...

Mrs. Troy or Blk, didn't yall post the cv of a blk woman with locs at one pts?  Can yall dig that up?