Law School Discussion

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Baltimore Will Do Anything To Keep Black People Off Its Police Force.
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 09:45:34 PM »
Miss P I think it comes down to whether it is better to be policed by members of your community or by outsiders.

I took a look at the Maryland constitution.  Even given the incorporation clause I think the case will be steep.  I will be interested in your thoughts.

I was hoping you'd be online. Did you receive an email from Tarik Chouaibi? :D

umm I don't think so?  :-\

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 02:31:17 AM »
Miss P I think it comes down to whether it is better to be policed by members of your community or by outsiders.

I completely understand this.  The question remains how much police officers remain members of black communities after they've joined the force.  But I meant to say above, as long as there are police, there sure had better be black police. :)

As for the MD constitution, I haven't had a chance to look at it, but the incorporation clause theory sounds weak, I agree.  I'll try to look into it (and the possible statutory claims) tomorrow or Thursday.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »
boo

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 10:57:24 AM »
Cornrows.. yeah.. that's professional..

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 11:06:32 AM »
Just in case anyone's still interested, the people on Nappturality are reporting that the Baltimore PD has rescinded this policy and will be redrafting a new one to be available for review on Jan. 15. I haven't found a link yet.

Thanks for the update.

I'm sorry I dropped the ball on this research.  I spaced out because I am on vacation and don't have steady internet access.  I'll try to look into it this weekend if someone reminds me -- or we can wait until after we see what the new policy looks like.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 12:29:05 PM »
hmmm.. well clarify something for me here...are we referring to locs that are not twisted @ the root that appear to have been untamed for months??

because if that isn't what u are referring to..there is really nothing unkempt about having your locs pulled back into a ponytail.. personally i hate rubber bands as they add to breakage and there are hair ties (or in my case since my hair is long enough my own hair) to hold them together...

i wasn't really making a legal arguement...as far as legality goes the policy will probably be found to be discriminatory from what i've read anyway...i was just more or less trying to give the reasoning behind it for those who may have thought the policy just came out of the blue or want to jump on the "it's racist" bandwagon w/o any further information...the Baltimore city police has had many many problems with the professionalism of its force in general...with the appearance of its officer's being frequently cited as one of the major problems...this policy was a long time in the making...not saying i agree with it but i don't see what else they can do to solve the problem at this point besides banning everything hence my many suffering for the few...we have similar problems in the military....the police tried making exceptions but it didn't work....who's going to make the call on which locks are professional and which are not that's a judgement call seems like to me...i hate the i'll just pull my locs back and put a rubberband on them look...its tacky imo but other people feel that's neat and professional???

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »
hmmm.. well clarify something for me here...are we referring to locs that are not twisted @ the root that appear to have been untamed for months??

That seems to be the look favored by a majority of the Baltimore cops that I've seen.  >:(  :(

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 12:55:07 PM »
I have to be honest and say that I really don't understand why anyone is tripping about the hairstyles of the police officers in their community. 

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 12:57:33 PM »
damn are u serious?? goodness as many natural hair salons that exist in the dc/md area u'd think having tamed natural hair in the workplace wouldn't be an issue

That seems to be the look favored by a majority of the Baltimore cops that I've seen.  >:(  :(

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 12:58:23 PM »
I have to be honest and say that I really don't understand why anyone is tripping about the hairstyles of the police officers in their community. 

Agreed.  If it affects performance, that's one thing.  But simple aesthetics?  No.