Law School Discussion

« on: December 15, 2006, 09:42:28 AM »

A.

• View Profile
Re: Baltimore Will Do Anything To Keep Black People Off Its Police Force.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:53:14 AM »
I think this one might be worth trying again in the courts because it's way more extreme than Rogers, is a PD and not an airline, and would be filed in 2007, not 1981. Legislatures and courts have acknowledged that braids and other natural styles are specifically African-American cultural arts in cases/legislation about braiding deregulation. However, Maryland is in the Fourth Circuit. Thoughts?

Your first case as a newly minted lawyer in 2008?  People should have been adversely impacted by then.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:01:08 AM »
Classic Equal Protection argument here.  There's actually a valid claim to be made here since hair style is not too closely related to performing the operations of official police duties.

Intent is irrelevant if the statute still has a discriminatory impact.  I'd like to see how this one turns out.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:42:32 AM »
I know this is Black Law Students Discussion, but I don't have any legal commentary to contribute to this discussion  :D

As a Baltimore resident, my trust in law enforcement is dimished a little bit more every time I see yet another police officer with scruffy locs or braids (which seems to be a frequent occurence in this town). It just looks extremely unprofessional. I agree that the policy may have a bigger impact on women, but most of the officers I've seen with raggedy hair have been male. Would it have been legal for the BPD to single out males in this policy?

In Sheila Dixon's defense, she wasn't elected to the mayoral position (our previous mayor is now the governor-elect) and so she might not be willing to raise a ruckus just yet. Plus,  she's dealing with some ethics investigation that's probably a whole lot more important to her than what the BPD says about its officer hairstyle choices.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »
Mo - good point. However, I think what distinguishes this case from Washington v. Davis is that in Washington, the "discriminatory" impact stemmed from a verbal skills test that the police department required of their applicants.  The court easily found that being able to read is rationally related to police work and being allowed to become a police officer.  In this case however, the same argument really can't be made for hair style - it doesn't exactly make you a better or worse cop.  Better looking cop maybe, but not a better cop.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 12:11:04 PM »
who is in?  hit me up.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 12:44:32 PM »
who's in what?

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 04:06:01 PM »
I know this is Black Law Students Discussion, but I don't have any legal commentary to contribute to this discussion  :D

As a Baltimore resident, my trust in law enforcement is dimished a little bit more every time I see yet another police officer with scruffy locs or braids (which seems to be a frequent occurence in this town). It just looks extremely unprofessional. I agree that the policy may have a bigger impact on women, but most of the officers I've seen with raggedy hair have been male. Would it have been legal for the BPD to single out males in this policy?

In Sheila Dixon's defense, she wasn't elected to the mayoral position (our previous mayor is now the governor-elect) and so she might not be willing to raise a ruckus just yet. Plus,  she's dealing with some ethics investigation that's probably a whole lot more important to her than what the BPD says about its officer hairstyle choices.

agree i used to live in Bmore and some of those officers look a mess... DC police need a policy as well...anyone who lives in the MD/DC/VA area probably has seen some of these officers...its ridiculous some of these chicks nails are so long they can't even hold a pen to write a ticket....the fingers waves, mohawks, glitter, orange stars, yellow moons, green clovers and blue diamonds in the hair is so unprofessional...and the dudes with the tattoos etc. all across the neck and face...this ain't no rap video and you ain't AI...we had the same problem in the military because some people don't know that there's a line.... and that if you do happen to cross it makes sure its not too extra so you can stay under the radar...everybody has to suffer...i've seen some very nice neat professional dreads twists etc. but who/how are you gonna draw the line...these dreads are good but these are not...its less hassle to just ban it all

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 04:00:58 PM »
Please sign the online petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/baltpd/petition-sign.html

I have passed it on to everyone I know!

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 12:38:47 AM »
I don't think this is the right time to take this kind of case through the federal courts (esp. not 4th cir.).  I would be looking at state law claims.

And my flippant side says: why the hell would any decent, self-respecting black person want to be a cop in Baltimore?  That is some dirty business.