Law School Discussion

To include or leave out?

To include or leave out?
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:25:09 AM »
I've got a 3 page Personal statement discussing my background and 2 or 3 of my greatest achievents- with a few comments on the importance of each.  I was wondering if this was the best approach or should I try to pack every single achievement, even down to the minor ones, in the essay.  With apps that accept a resume, I plan to include the other accomplishments in the resume, but what should I do about the apps that don't take a resume? 

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: To include or leave out?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »
As far as me concerned, all schools accept a resume, even if they don't explicitly ask for one. Just attach it to all of them...

As for your PS, I would strongly advice to cut it down, at least for the schools that explicitly wants it at 2 pages max. Change the font to a more efficient font if that helps (size isn't everything, Times New Roman pt 11 will fit a lot more text than i.e. Arial pt 11). Not knowing what you have written in your PS, this is an unqualified suggestion, but most of the time I'd suggest dropping comments on the importance of what you've done - the adcomms would probably prefer to make up their own mind on this anyhow.

parsley

Re: To include or leave out?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 04:38:48 PM »
Send in a resume unless they say NOT to send in a resume. 

Do not put every little activity into your essay.  That is a list, not an essay.

An essay should center around some sort of theme or follow some sort of trajectory.  There should be no packing in of anything.  And even the 3-4 major things may be too much.  The best essays I've read are highly focused on one or two key things.