Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Current students: The Exam Moping Thread  (Read 784 times)

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Current students: The Exam Moping Thread
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:00:26 AM »
So I had my first test today, which for whatever reason the school decided should be Civ Pro.  I wrote a lot, and I know I got SOME stuff.... but all I can keep thinking about is the stuff I missed.  I know for certain I misidentified one issue (I called defensive nonmutual collateral estoppel OFFENSIVE, grrr); it hit me like two hours after the test.  I should have thrown in more about joinder, fur sure, even though not immediately relevant... that was a secondary issue.  How can I stop thinking about this?????

Oh, did I mention, our prof gave us 90 min. to analyze a 3pg., single-spaced fact pattern? And said he gave no credit unless everything was in full sentences with some analysis?  Lose-lose sitch.  :-\
I am officially a law school graduate : )

firewalker

• Sr. Citizen
  • New York University
    • View Profile
Re: Current students: The Exam Moping Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
First exam is on Monday. Suffice to say, I'm scared shitless.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »

dude, your 18, exams are strolls through the park at this point.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:19:51 AM »
I'm just trying to stagger my way to the finish line here - 1 more tomorrow.  My torts exam hit me like a freight train - it had a series of multiple choice questions (which I usually love) along the lines of: "What should a judge do in x situation?" when with at least two answers that looked pretty viable to me for almost all the questions. 

At some point, you just have to look around the room and realize that everyone else is taking the same exam.  And I've stuck to my rule of not talking about exams either - I think that helps a lot.  It's a certain recipe for distraction and doing worse on following exams.

At this point, I'm confident that I'll be invited back for another semester - anything beyond that is gravy.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 10:45:44 AM »
I have Torts in about 2.5 hours and then I'm DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The moping part is that I've lost all motivation to study so I hope I know what I'm talking about... but I'm too apathetic to care regardless.  When you all get to your last exam, you won't care either.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:57:25 PM »
So I had my first test today, which for whatever reason the school decided should be Civ Pro.  I wrote a lot, and I know I got SOME stuff.... but all I can keep thinking about is the stuff I missed.  I know for certain I misidentified one issue (I called defensive nonmutual collateral estoppel OFFENSIVE, grrr); it hit me like two hours after the test.  I should have thrown in more about joinder, fur sure, even though not immediately relevant... that was a secondary issue.  How can I stop thinking about this?????

Oh, did I mention, our prof gave us 90 min. to analyze a 3pg., single-spaced fact pattern? And said he gave no credit unless everything was in full sentences with some analysis?  Lose-lose sitch.  :-\

That exam made me want to kill myself.

I think I called it offensive too.

But I've blocked it out.

Ok, no more talk of this after today, I promise! BUT.... I am still thinking about this question:

It really didn't say whether it was in fed or state ct, right?  I just said "assuming we're in fed ct," but then, thinking about it now: does the Virgin Islands even HAVE a state ct?  Is that why it didn't say, b/c the US has original jurisidction over territories?  If so, that's kind of crappy to expect us to spot, since it wasn't mentioned in the cb or class... but I bet it's somewhere in the US statutes...

I am officially a law school graduate : )

firewalker

• Sr. Citizen
  • New York University
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 01:20:13 PM »

dude, your 18, exams are strolls through the park at this point.

If I actually had read my texts diligently maybe..

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
At this point, I'm confident that I'll be invited back for another semester - anything beyond that is gravy.

This is me, too.

One prof warned us that talking about the exams before the holidays is nothing but a good way to ruin your break.  I'm taking her advice, and have some success forgetting everything I've written so far.  I've found that big dumb movies and beer are quite helpful in this endeavor.

:) I've heard the same thing, although people tend to talk about exams anyway. If I hear anything remotely post-mortem sounding, I just head on home. I've tried to stay off campus as much as possible because I have no desire to panic all break thinking I failed because I missed something.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 05:15:14 PM »
Waahh!  I still have all of my exams to look forward to, because I had to bag school and drive back east so that my father could have scary emergency open-heart surgeries (because I'm the Official Grown-Up In Charge) and I'm still here until he gets out of the hospital, at which point I get to drive back to Michigan, move into a new apartment, and take make-up exams, all before January 10 when the new semester starts...

Waahh!

(Can we tell I'm feeling a little sorry for myself?  Thanks for indulging me.)
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 05:30:31 PM »
Waahh!  I still have all of my exams to look forward to, because I had to bag school and drive back east so that my father could have scary emergency open-heart surgeries (because I'm the Official Grown-Up In Charge) and I'm still here until he gets out of the hospital, at which point I get to drive back to Michigan, move into a new apartment, and take make-up exams, all before January 10 when the new semester starts...

Waahh!

(Can we tell I'm feeling a little sorry for myself?  Thanks for indulging me.)

Ugh- sorry to hear that, but am glad (hopeful?) your father is doing okay. My sister was hospitalized during one exam period and had to do makeups second semester, so I know what a pain it can be.