Law School Discussion

Health Law - Want a Change- Need Advice!!

Health Law - Want a Change- Need Advice!!
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:03:37 PM »
Hi All!!

Need some advice.  I am interested in health law and I am definitely in need of some advice.  I'm late for this application cycle so I guess I'll be going in '08.  I graduated IU in 2002 with a Biology degree (3.1), worked in a lab for a couple of years, and am now in a Biomedical Science Ph.D program. 
I'm not a big fan of this AT ALL!

My grades in grad school aren't stellar but not too bad and I find that my desire to pursue health law stems not really from my initial desire to go to med school. I take some of their classes for my program, so I KNOW that's not it! My initial goal when I thought I wanted to go to med school was to contribute to the landscape of health care in America in general and Women/minority healthcare issues especially. I still want to do this only in a different way. I would like to do a joint degree (JD/MPH or MHA/JD).  I looked at the rankings for this type of law and I like IU-Indy (in-state) and SLU. Since it's kind of late, I still have time to apply to MPH programs for Fall '07.  Will schools look poorly on someone who didn't finish a Ph.D but has some work experience and a desire to still pursue a career in an area that she loves only on a different path?  Will I look flighty?

Let me know? Thank you so much for reading this.

Para Legal

• Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
Re: Health Law - Want a Change- Need Advice!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:46:26 PM »
Congrats on finding your path!

1. U of Maryland has an excellent health law program, as does U of Houston. Check them out.

2. You won't look flighty if you do your personal statement right- by explaining the grad work in such a way as to say "hey, I found out this wasn't my path, but here's what I'm doing with the knowledge and work I put into it." Make it a positive and show what you've done.

3. If you haven't taken the LSAT already, start studying now. You could potentially apply without it and go for the February test for next fall, but that's really pushing it. Unless you take prep tests and are scoring well off the bat, you need time to learn the test. Do yourself a favor and target the June or September LSATs for the fall '07 cycle, for an admission date of fall 2008.

If you don't want to wait, give it a shot- you could be exactly what those schools are looking for to round out their incoming classes. BUT...

DO NOT take the LSAT cold- you will regret it. It's unlike any other test you've ever taken.

Give yourself the full year to get your LOR's and personal statement perfect, study for the LSAT and come up with your school lists. Go to an LSAC forum, really suss out the schools you are truly interested in. It's all doable, and if you're worried about waiting a year, figure out why. (And wouldn't you rather give yourself the best shot you can to get into a great school rather than settling for whoever will take you this late in the cycle?)

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Para

S2X

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 12:02:53 AM »
Other excellent health law programs: Seton Hall and Boston U.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:17:45 PM »
Lots of schools have decent programs-- a good amount of courses, strong faculty, joint degree options, etc. for example: Penn isnt ranked in its health law program by USNWR but you can do a joint degree masters of bioethics in the 3 years it takes to do the law degree, or get a certificate from wharton in business focusing in heathcare management. graduates come out doing some intense health law work.

go onto the websites of the best schools you think youll be able to get into, in the areas of the country where you think youll want to live and practice and take a look at the health law curriculum. youll find enough to keep you busy at many of the schools that arent highlighted by USNWR.

I wouldnt sweat the PhD non-completion at all. like the poster before said: tie it into your intellectual and personal journey. the courses and your extracurricular interests have helped you realize that the problems youre interested in are perhaps legal systemic ones. that kind of thing.