Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Is "personalizing" your personal statement by including the law school name bad?

Yes
 14 (24.6%)
No
 22 (38.6%)
Makes No Difference
 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Is "personalizing" your personal statement by including the law school name bad?  (Read 2268 times)

aleutian

• View Profile
To include or not to include: that is the question.  There are varying opinions on the subject of whether or not the name of the law school should be included in the personal statement to "personalize" it.  I'm not referring to writing about a law school's specific details, rather, just including the law school's name in the text of the personal statement at some point.  Some argue that law schools frown on this because it appears as though the applicant is sending a general purpose statement and copy-pasting the school names.  Others argue that law schools recognize students are likely to be sending the same personal statement to multiple schools and therefore the inclusion of the law school name is not a detriment.  An argument can be made that a law school statement with no reference to the law school is lacking a significant piece of the essay while others will say that placing the law school name in generic text can make the applicant look superficial.  So what do you think?  Does including the law school name in a generic context improve, detract from, or not make a difference  in the personal statement?

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To include or not to include: that is the question.  There are varying opinions on the subject of whether or not the name of the law school should be included in the personal statement to "personalize" it.  I'm not referring to writing about a law school's specific details, rather, just including the law school's name in the text of the personal statement at some point.  Some argue that law schools frown on this because it appears as though the applicant is sending a general purpose statement and copy-pasting the school names.  Others argue that law schools recognize students are likely to be sending the same personal statement to multiple schools and therefore the inclusion of the law school name is not a detriment.  An argument can be made that a law school statement with no reference to the law school is lacking a significant piece of the essay while others will say that placing the law school name in generic text can make the applicant look superficial.  So what do you think?  Does including the law school name in a generic context improve, detract from, or not make a difference  in the personal statement?

I also think it looks bad.  It's transparent and fake.

danvichgs

• View Profile
I included it in each statement. While it isn't ideal to feel like you are just copying and pasting the name, I feel like it seems weirder to just send a statement with no reference to the school at all. Just my two cents.

chitownluva

• Sr. Citizen
  • All you need is love.
    • View Profile
    • Numbers...
I only did it for Duke and I felt dirty afterwards and didn't do it again.  I took a shower and vowed to stay clean.  I only did it there because they mentioned something about wanting to know why you want to go to Duke.  However, tons of other people got in who didn't mention anything specific.  I think if you have something important to say then write a separate essay.  Otherwise I would say don't do it.  Not a hard and fast rule of course. ;)

quizzle16

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I included it in the schools whose prompts hinted that they wanted a little blurb about why I wanted to go to that school (Duke, for example). But if they didn't ask, or had a separate optional essay about Why ____?, I didn't include it.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
yeah, I would say it depends on what you are writing about. I guess if you are writing about why you want to go to law school, then it wouldn't be inappropriate, but I find no need to mention it.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
My personal statement talks about a particular interest I have, so at the end of each statement, I tried to personalize my last paragraph to explain why I wanted to go to that particular school (because I only applied to schools that had programs/journals/clinics, etc. that I am currently interested in).  I figured it just added more depth to the essay and showed how my current interests can lead to a future career choice.

If you're just cutting and pasting "This is why I want to go to so-and-so law school", though, I'd just cut it.  It doesn't add anything to your statement.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
I only did it for Duke and I felt dirty afterwards and didn't do it again.  I took a shower and vowed to stay clean.  I only did it there because they mentioned something about wanting to know why you want to go to Duke.  However, tons of other people got in who didn't mention anything specific.  I think if you have something important to say then write a separate essay.  Otherwise I would say don't do it.  Not a hard and fast rule of course. ;)

Yeah, that's why I didn't apply to Duke. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

epiphanize

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah I only did it for schools that asked why I thought that school would be a good choice. It felt very cheesy when I had to do it. I would avoid doing it under any other circumstances.

joe23sxe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I put the name of the school in the header. I really don't see how that is a problem. It's a different issue if, say, your personal statement has one sentence like, "...and that is why I want to go to (insert law school name here)" (extreme case). And a paragraph about "Why X?" is obviously fine. But the name of the school in the header? Explain to me why that is problematic.