Law School Discussion

Poll

Is "personalizing" your personal statement by including the law school name bad?

Yes
14 (24.6%)
No
22 (38.6%)
Makes No Difference
21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Is "personalizing" your personal statement by including the law school name bad?

I've only heard back from one school so far (DePaul) and the head of the IP program called me to inform. I was quite a bit above their averages in terms of GPA and scores but she did mention that my PS was excellent and it stood out. I did like many of the others on the forum and mentioned DePaul specifically in the second-to-last paragraph and I tied my interests from the previous paragraphs to the DePaul program specifically. I think it's a good thing to do and admissions committees like to see that you've researched the school a bit.

-Jihad

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
I really don't believe for a second that whether you have the schools name on the PS or not makes any difference. They know you haven't custom written one for each school.

They know you haven't custom written one for each school.

I applied to 18 schools (thank you LSAC fee-waiver)and I wrote 10 custon letters. The rest were hybrids.

Dirka, dirka,

Jihad

I applied to 18 schools (thank you LSAC fee-waiver)and I wrote 10 custon letters. The rest were hybrids.

Yeah right. And I'm sure they were all SOOO different.

All of my statements revolved around 1 of 3 themes depending on the school. Similar ideas were used in each one, but they were all unique in terms of relating to a particular school's mission and curriculum.

jalong

• View Profile

All of my statements revolved around 1 of 3 themes depending on the school. Similar ideas were used in each one, but they were all unique in terms of relating to a particular school's mission and curriculum.

Even so, that is not the same thing that as just including a school's name in order to personalize it. Sounds like in order to personalize your essays, he actually personalized them, rather than just pretending to.

Think of it this way, when a credit card company sends you an offer to get their credit card in the mail, and they address it to you by name, do you find their offer more compelling? probably not. Now, if they did some research on you and sent you a letter saying, if you use the credit card to pay for LSAC reports, we will give you a 20% discount, then that would be truely personalized, and indeed more compelling. I think the analogy applies to personal statements as well.

Even so, that is not the same thing that as just including a school's name in order to personalize it. Sounds like in order to personalize your essays, he actually personalized them, rather than just pretending to.

Think of it this way, when a credit card company sends you an offer to get their credit card in the mail, and they address it to you by name, do you find their offer more compelling? probably not. Now, if they did some research on you and sent you a letter saying, if you use the credit card to pay for LSAC reports, we will give you a 20% discount, then that would be truely personalized, and indeed more compelling. I think the analogy applies to personal statements as well.

PRECISELY! Now we are getting somewhere.