Law School Discussion

Poll

Is "personalizing" your personal statement by including the law school name bad?

Yes
14 (24.6%)
No
22 (38.6%)
Makes No Difference
21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Is "personalizing" your personal statement by including the law school name bad?

I think it's good ... I personalized all of my school's PS and included a "why *this school*" short paragraph in all buy 2 (b/c my similar reason for each didn't fit).  Hey, it shows that you've taken a little bit of effort to target that particular letter to their particular school ... it may be a small token, but I bet it is appreciated.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
I only did it for Duke and I felt dirty afterwards and didn't do it again.  I took a shower and vowed to stay clean.  I only did it there because they mentioned something about wanting to know why you want to go to Duke.  However, tons of other people got in who didn't mention anything specific.  I think if you have something important to say then write a separate essay.  Otherwise I would say don't do it.  Not a hard and fast rule of course. ;)

Yeah, that's why I didn't apply to Duke. 

I applied, but didn't change my PS.

zoom

• View Profile
Re: Is "personalizing" your personnel bad?
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 06:57:39 AM »
I slid the school's name in at the end. I also included some of the professors names to make it more personal. I think it was pretty classy. My last lines looked like this:

QUOTE:

"...and that's how I knew law was the path for me.

THE END

PS: Duke is a really neat. So are Professors: Katharine T. Bartlett Sara Sun Beale Stuart M. Benjamin Francesca E. Bignami James Boyle Curtis A. Bradley Paul D. Carrington Erwin Chemerinsky George C. Christie Doriane Lambelet Coleman James E. Coleman, Jr. James D. Cox Richard A. Danner Walter E. Dellinger III Deborah A. DeMott Diane Dimond Robinson O. Everett Catherine Fisk Joel L. Fleishman Andrew H. Foster Mitu Gulati Paul H. Haagen Donald L. Horowitz Trina Jones David L. Lange Carolyn McAllaster Francis McGovern Thomas B. Metzloff Ralf Michaels Madeline Morris Robert P. Mosteller Joost Pauwelyn H. Jefferson Powell Jedediah Purdy Arti K. Rai Jerome H. Reichman William A. Reppy, Jr. Barak D. Richman Thomas D. Rowe, Jr. James Salzman Richard L. Schmalbeck Christopher H. Schroeder Steven L. Schwarcz Neil S. Siegel Scott L. Silliman Laura S. Underkuffler Neil Vidmar Stephen Wallenstein John C. Weistart Jane R. Wettach Jonathan B. Wiener Lawrence A. Zelenak" 

I had my prelaw counselor look over my first draft, which did have a place for "law school x" in it, and she said I should take it out. Unspoken assumption: slightly cheesy, but moreso unnecessary. Likewise, I applied to Duke without changing it. It's actually not even statement-of-purposey, except towards the end. However, it is about fighting bias (misogyny, racism), and perhaps the recent lacrosse stuff makes it clear why I would want to go to Duke--lots of bias to fight there!

jalong

• View Profile
I had my prelaw counselor look over my first draft, which did have a place for "law school x" in it, and she said I should take it out. Unspoken assumption: slightly cheesy, but moreso unnecessary. Likewise, I applied to Duke without changing it. It's actually not even statement-of-purposey, except towards the end. However, it is about fighting bias (misogyny, racism), and perhaps the recent lacrosse stuff makes it clear why I would want to go to Duke--lots of bias to fight there!

I think, actually, the general feeling is that the Lax kids were found guilty in the media, but that their accusor's story didn't really add up.

maybe, but they are guilty now any way. Even false rape charge can ruin a boy's life for ever.

My personal statement talks about a particular interest I have, so at the end of each statement, I tried to personalize my last paragraph to explain why I wanted to go to that particular school (because I only applied to schools that had programs/journals/clinics, etc. that I am currently interested in).  I figured it just added more depth to the essay and showed how my current interests can lead to a future career choice.

If you're just cutting and pasting "This is why I want to go to so-and-so law school", though, I'd just cut it.  It doesn't add anything to your statement.

This is similar to the approach I took; I'm interested in a particular area and I wrote a pargraph at the end which included the things I liked about that school pretaining to my interests. In context, I think it makes sense. However, I also agree that just putting a simple statement is not necessary.

That being said, in the big picture, I don't think it is going to matter one way or the other. If the rest of your PS is written well, I don't think you will get rejected simply because you put a "cheesy" line in their about going to their school. If the rest of your PS isn't written well, and you are borderline numbers wise, I don't think putting a statement about that particular school is going to get you in.

parsley

Duke LAX:
You can check the recent news on this. (As in, today.)

The latest sentiment is that the accuser is dirty and a liar. The prosecutor is slimy and a liar. 

The guys are assholes, but are basically telling the truth.

Cube Farmer

• The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
My personal statement talks about a particular interest I have, so at the end of each statement, I tried to personalize my last paragraph to explain why I wanted to go to that particular school (because I only applied to schools that had programs/journals/clinics, etc. that I am currently interested in).  I figured it just added more depth to the essay and showed how my current interests can lead to a future career choice.

I did this as well. I tied one paragraph (next to last) on each statement that was specifics on why this particular school was a good fit. I think it also adds a little more depth, and you have reason to apply. For a borderline candidate, like me, I think it is more important than for auto-admits. With that said, if I were an auto-admit, I would not insult the school by dropping the school name without any context in which to do so.

Not to get totally off-topic, but re Duke lax:

I do know that the story hasn't added up, and that it didn't go down the way everyone worst-case-scenario'd it. That said, I think the whole thing (including the way it was handled by the prosecutor, and regardless of what actually happened) shows that Durham has some pretty serious race/gender issues either way. That's all I meant; sorry for any confusion, as it's finals weeks and sleep is at a premium.