Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important are the optional essays?  (Read 841 times)

DJ JD

• View Profile
How important are the optional essays?
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:56:58 PM »
Are they worth writing -- i.e. why i want to go to ucla/northwestern -- if i truly have no idea why i want to go, except that they are good schools with good job placement??

Also, the NW optional interview -- how important is that? If I elect not to take it, will they judge me negatively? I'm actually a good interviewer, I think, but I don't want to spend 400$ flying to Chicago, when NW isn't a top choice of mine...

Thanks.

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
Re: How important are the optional essays?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 10:53:02 PM »
Are they worth writing -- i.e. why i want to go to ucla/northwestern -- if i truly have no idea why i want to go, except that they are good schools with good job placement??

Also, the NW optional interview -- how important is that? If I elect not to take it, will they judge me negatively? I'm actually a good interviewer, I think, but I don't want to spend 400$ flying to Chicago, when NW isn't a top choice of mine...

Thanks.

I was strongly advised to answer/write all of the optional essays. You don't want to give the admin board the impression that you're not giving the apps your full "effort." Oh, and you mentioned that you really don't know how to answer them if you don't know why you want to go there. Try using something from your life such as a lesson learned and then go on about how you feel that you can help develop with the school of your choice, blah blah blah. Basically start personal and then plug in "I feel that School X will help me develop as a person and build from the lessons learned, blah blah blah." I know I sound vague, but I'm hoping you can catch my drift.

As for optional interviews, if it's really not a school you see yourself ending up at regardless of acceptance or don't really want to end up at (know you have a shot at getting accepted at some other schools and will most likely go to one of those), then no point in going and spending all that money. That's just my 2 cents.
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF