Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara  (Read 1015 times)

JABwaka

• View Profile
    • Email
Santa Clara
« on: February 26, 2004, 03:49:24 PM »
At the last minute, I am considering applying to Santa Clara.  Having lived on the East Coast my whole life however, I am uncertain as to how the school ranks in the state itself.

Does anyone know someone who has attended? Or is familiar with the school's reputation?

Thanks!

bellejoliemtl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Santa Clara
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 10:41:15 PM »
I am not a student at Santa Clara Law School, neither do I know anyone who is/will be attending this school. I can only tell you one thing: last year when I was contemplating which law school to attend (my family is in santa clara county, so everyone advised me to go there), I did some research on the school itself.

First of all, from what I saw on their web site, international law and intellectual property programs are not available for J.D. students (LLM only).

Also, SCU is not very well known outside of the area. Surely, everyone in the Silicon Valley knows about it, but once you go down to Southern California, very few people have heard or know much about it. At one point I was accepted there to do my undergraduate but luckily chose to go to another school.

Plus, for a person from the East Coast, I don't think you will like California. Sun and palm trees might be great but the lifestyle is completely different from what you find on the East Coast.

chica1

• View Profile
Re: Santa Clara
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 11:49:53 PM »
Yes, it is true that Santa Clara is a great Regional school.   A lot of very well known and prominent lawyers and judges in the Bay Area are alumni.  And, in Southern California it is probably as well known as say, USD or Loyola is up here.

Furthermore, it does indeed offer an International law Certificate as well as a High Tech Certificate to its JD  candidates, who must apply during the 3rd year.  You cannot though receive both certificates. (read the webpage more carefully!)

Also, Belle, careful with your logic. There are plenty of happy transplanted East Coasters in the Bay Area. I met plenty of them at Stanford. My roommate, born and raised in Phily, swears he's never leaving the Bay Area. It is true that the West Coast is very different and it takes a bit of adjustment, but that comes with any change.

Jabwaka, if you get in,  come visit Santa Clara for yourself and see how you like it.  :)