Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!  (Read 10687 times)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »
Killtheheadlights,

I can't speak to your question about your admissions status, but I did want to comment on your scholarship concerns at DU.  For my class, the minimum requirement to keep a general scholarship is a 3.0 (some of the endowed scholarships do not have a GPA requirements).  Our curve is a 3.0, so this is essentially the 50% mark.  Meaning top half of the class.  If you dont make that mark after 1L, they put you on scholarship probation and give you an extra semester to try to pull above the mark.  I know of someone that went on probation, but I dont know anyone that has actually lost their scholarship.  So, I dont know how that works.  Also, I am confident that all of the scholarship kids were spread among the sections.  I would definitely ask the admissions office about this concern, but unless something has changed it shouldnt be an issue.

As for the prestige comments... this is Colorado.  No one here cares about prestige. We care about good powder days in the winter, and hiking days in the summer.  We leave the prestige to the east coasters. ;)

The second thing is that I LOVE DENVER. I lived there for two years and completely adore the place now. My wife and I are planning on making Denver our permanent residence (as applying to only those two schools would imply). I would much rather live in Denver for my three years of law school than Boulder, but I haven't actually visited CU yet so I don't know for sure. Also, I think I am likely to get a scholarship at DU, and if I did that would mitigate the tuition difference. Although I hear that they stick everyone with scholarships in the same section so only about a third of them actually maintain the 3.1 minimum GPA and lose their scholarships. I believe that I will be in the top 25% of my class, but so does about 80% of every class, so I want to be realistic.
2L

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »
bear in mind that i applied to be a third year visiting student, but my "application status" says "complete, ready for review"

i dont have any of the other stuff you see, as far as i can tell....
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Quetzal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2008, 09:35:43 PM »
OK... I went ahead & checked myweb.  I got

Admissions
Enter a new application ~ Complete an application ~ Review application status

Financial Aid
Apply for financial aid ~ Review application status ~ Review loans

I applied on 12/14, and was barely complete on 1/11.. so we'll see.

Make sure to post if you are indeed accepted!

backpacking

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »
I got into Denver last week (application was completed Jan 2) and am really interested in the school... but i'm in Toronto and don't know a lot about the school. I'm looking to be involved in International Law, specifically pertaining to Human Rights. The website doesn't offer a lot of information - can anyone speak to the international law program and opportunities for students while in school and upon graduation in that field?

Thanks!

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 12:30:16 AM »
If someone can tell me how to post a picture I will post a picture of MyWeb so you guys can see. It looks like I am accepted, but I don't want to get my hopes up for no reason.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 12:37:38 AM »
Call the admissions & ask.  If you are so worried about annoying them, don't give them your name. . .general inquiry.  They aren't going to ding you because you called in regards to your status.

International law:  I would say international law is one of the top three programs as far as student interest at DU.  In no particular order: Environmental, International, Corporate.  We have a nationally ranked international journal, lots of international classes, russian/spanish for lawyers program, etc.
3L @ University of Denver

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »
Call the admissions & ask.  If you are so worried about annoying them, don't give them your name. . .general inquiry.  They aren't going to ding you because you called in regards to your status.

International law:  I would say international law is one of the top three programs as far as student interest at DU.  In no particular order: Environmental, International, Corporate.  We have a nationally ranked international journal, lots of international classes, russian/spanish for lawyers program, etc.

agreed.  I don't think that admissions will look down on anyone who is just trying to figure out the status of an application, especially when you have a legitimate reason to inquire.  In fact, I was told that my persistence with following up (letters, phone calls, and emails) was an important factor in my acceptance. 

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
I think this was the case for me too.  I called about every 2 weeks or so starting Feb/Mar in my application cycle to check on my status.  By calling, I think I showed a genuine interest in the school and that I would attend if accepted (which is very important to the school).  Just remember, be nice.  Good luck! 

annarborite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »
I applied to CU and not DU.  CU will be one of my top picks if they accept me and offer me some scholarship $$.  Anyone have any idea why CU is taking so long with decisions?  They admitted a slew of peeps in December, but no one is January or since. 

I am content with waiting, just curious.  Maybe I'll see some of you in Boulder next fall!  Do many law students live outside of boulder in some of the previously mentioned suburbs? 

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
I applied to CU and not DU.  CU will be one of my top picks if they accept me and offer me some scholarship $$.  Anyone have any idea why CU is taking so long with decisions?  They admitted a slew of peeps in December, but no one is January or since. 

I am content with waiting, just curious.  Maybe I'll see some of you in Boulder next fall!  Do many law students live outside of boulder in some of the previously mentioned suburbs? 
  :D

Maybe they are up in the mountains taking advantage of the powder days.  ;)