Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!  (Read 10559 times)

nfire1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »
So I posted in here last year before I knew where I was going.  I am at DU now and for the most part it's been a great experience.  The profs are extremely knowledgeable, the other students are very happy and vibrant and theres SO much to do extracurricular-wise.  I've heard it said that CU is better for straight academia and that DU is better for technical prep, writing, research etc., but I don't know if thats true or not.  I do know that our legal writing assignments have been TOUGH, and that i've learned a ton in that class.  Also I have to repeat that the students here are pretty serious about moot court competitions and spend a lot of time preparing for them.  I didn't participate this year but I think I will next year because the ones who participated seem to have gained a lot of knowledge.  This weekend theres a competition between CU & DU 1Ls, we'll see who wins that one.

I saw Barack Obama speak here this morning and tonight I'll see Bill Clinton speak here.  One day last semester I saw Mitt Romney and Sandra Day O'Connor speak on the same day.

I also know that the bar passage rates have been on the rise again recently if that's a concern, it isn't one for me though.  I'll pass the f-ing bar, gimme a break.

The people on this site will almost always tell you to go with the higher ranked school.  I know that CU is a lot higher ranked but Colorado is a weird place where more than half the lawyers in Denver went to DU (its a much bigger school).

If I have to say one bad thing about it, it's that sometimes there are VERY annoying technical problems, like the printers breaking on the weekends and nobody being around to fix them til Monday, things like that are f-ing aggravating but in the long run I think it works out.

any questions feel free to ask em.
DU '10

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 02:04:44 AM »
After you get accepted to both...ask the HR person at a few of the places that you think you might like to potentially work in three years the advantages/disadvantages of each in their opinion.

Just a late night thought.

You know, I've done this, all say go to DU. Just so happens that of the 30 or so lawyers and judges I know well, all are DU but for a few top 14 grads, so some bais there. :) I have yet to actually meet a CU grad working as lawyer. In no way am I saying they are not out there, its just like 4 to 1 DU grads, so just happens that you meet them more often. I thinkl they are both good schools, I think CU has the advanatge of being higher ranked, but DU has the advanatage of being IN Denver, and that has seemed to me, to really even it out. DU grads have more opertunties to get know in Denver becuase its really easy to get a PT clerk or intership job here and work it into your school schdeual. Outside Denver I bet CU has the advanatge. But I mean, who want to work in the Springs?

The only down side I have with DU is cost, Its not cheap, other than that I have no complaints. Love my classmates, the pprofs, the numbers of classes offered, the lawyers I have met in Denver, the city, my house, the weather (near blzzard going on outside my window right now, which will all be melted by tommrow I bet)

PS also soryy about keep delated out of this thread. I like to d-dub each night to I don't wake to full in box (becuase being OCD I will read verey post!) But I'll try to keep this one saved.

Aslo good to see nfire1 and somanyquestions, how is it going for you guys?

Good, good thanks! :)  Kinda star struck from seeing Barack Obama & Bill Clinton all in one day.  How are you?

Oh, here's another negative. . .DU trying to profit by charging people to park in the law school parking deck while turning current law students with parking passes away. ???

To add to what has already been said about DU/CU. . .both DU/CU are about equal in terms of reputation in Colorado, both have new buildings, both are regional schools (even though CU is ranked higher), etc.  Bottom line, VISIT.
3L @ University of Denver

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »
How are people dealing with paying down the debt?  Are there sufficient job options post-graduation in the Denver area to make it worthwhile? 
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »
I live in NY; how hard is it to get Colorado residency for CU in-state tuition?

You know...if I actually get in.
-Brian Wilson

ladivina

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
I live in Denver and am applying to both schools as well.  It is true that both have good regional reputations. CU is higher ranked, and the you can't beat the in-state tuition with a stick unless DU can make up the difference with scholarships.  As much as people in Denver think that DU is a great school, CU is better academically both in Undergrad and Law School.  DU does a really good job of selling itself, but the fact that it is a private school does not make it exculsive, just ridiculously expensive.  Most people that I know who have gone to CU are doing very well in the Denver legal market...DU grads as well, if they pass the bar. 
Also, I love Boulder. If you live in the outskirts of Boulder (ie. Broomfield, Louisville, Lafayette, etc.) housing is very reasonable and, frankly, nothing in Colorado is going to cost you as much as it would to live in DC, NYC, Boston, Cali, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions.  I'm hoping to have the same decision.
University of Denver 1L!
_____________________________ ________________
"Non tutta la frutta fa maturare"

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Well, I'm personally hoping to either A) get into UC or B) get about $15K/yr from Denver. 

Denver/Colorado is a very appealing option because the cost of living is far lower than the regions you mention, and having lived in NYC for the last 7 years and on the virge of marriage, much of the appeal of NYC is pretty much lost on me.  Frankly, I miss the outdoors, so the location of Denver really appeals to me. 

I'm hoping it works out.  My fiancee is a teacher with experience teaching in the Brooklyn Public Schools, so she can get a job pretty much anywhere, which is a nice bit of flexibility. 

We'll see.  I really hope something works out.  If I got into UC, then I'd be hard pressed not to go.
-Brian Wilson

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
I live in NY; how hard is it to get Colorado residency for CU in-state tuition?

You know...if I actually get in.

1 year. . .after a year, CU grants you in state status.

Bottom line from what everyone's saying: CU/DU have similar job prospects, reputation, etc so do the research, visit, & go with your gut feeling.

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
After you get accepted to both...ask the HR person at a few of the places that you think you might like to potentially work in three years the advantages/disadvantages of each in their opinion.

You know, I've done this, all say go to DU. Just so happens that of the 30 or so lawyers and judges I know well, all are DU but for a few top 14 grads, so some bais there. :) I have yet to actually meet a CU grad working as lawyer. In no way am I saying they are not out there, its just like 4 to 1 DU grads, so just happens that you meet them more often. I thinkl they are both good schools, I think CU has the advanatge of being higher ranked, but DU has the advanatage of being IN Denver, and that has seemed to me, to really even it out. DU grads have more opertunties to get know in Denver becuase its really easy to get a PT clerk or intership job here and work it into your school schdeual. Outside Denver I bet CU has the advanatge. But I mean, who want to work in the Springs?

The only down side I have with DU is cost, Its not cheap, other than that I have no complaints. Love my classmates, the pprofs, the numbers of classes offered, the lawyers I have met in Denver, the city, my house, the weather (near blzzard going on outside my window right now, which will all be melted by tommrow I bet)

PS also soryy about keep delated out of this thread. I like to d-dub each night to I don't wake to full in box (becuase being OCD I will read verey post!) But I'll try to keep this one saved.

Good, good thanks! :)  Kinda star struck from seeing Barack Obama & Bill Clinton all in one day.  How are you?

Oh, here's another negative. . .DU trying to profit by charging people to park in the law school parking deck while turning current law students with parking passes away. ???

To add to what has already been said about DU/CU. . .both DU/CU are about equal in terms of reputation in Colorado, both have new buildings, both are regional schools (even though CU is ranked higher), etc.  Bottom line, VISIT.

Doing good here as well. STILL waiting on one grade, bujt *&^% happens. Yea I stayed awaty from school yesterday becuase I knew parking ouwld suck!! You went to both?

Let me guess. . .jurisprudence?  Who did you take it with?  I wonder if we were in the same class. . .I'm still waiting for mine.

Yea, I went to both.  I was in line for 2 hours for Obama & walked right in for Clinton (guess the snow detered people).  They were turning people away from the garage.  People were not happy.  Luckily, I entered through Evans side of the garage so I didn't have a problem.

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »
My only advice on where to live is, if you go to CU, I would recommend living as close to Denver as you can stand. Hands down the BEST way to find a legal job is networking with working lawyers and judges. 90% of the regular networking activities (Bar Association meetings, CLEs, volunteer events and Inns of the Court) are all going to take place in Denver, Boulder to Denver is an hour in good traffic 1.5 hours in bad traffic, forever in the snow. Just something to consider. DU students have a monopoly on networking events simple because few CU students are willing to make that drive after class in the evenings.
Oh, and weather here is NUTS its was 45 degrees this afternoon. Right now we are having a THUNDER and LIGHTING storm with snow. WTF???

I concur with everything Matthies just said regarding living in Denver & the weather.  That was LOUD!

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 11:42:58 PM »

Doing good here as well. STILL waiting on one grade, bujt poo happens. Yea I stayed awaty from school yesterday becuase I knew parking ouwld suck!! You went to both?

Let me guess. . .jurisprudence?

Scales, you?

ME TOO!!  She is taking WAY too long to grade our journals!  Think she'll give us our grade before she gets back from the tar heel state?