Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!  (Read 10527 times)

leahchen

• Law school or bust...
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - leahchen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 06:47:20 PM »
I work at a law firm in Denver. DU has a much stronger influence and connection with the downtown firms. CU is physically and otherwise removed from Denver. That being said, CU is ranked twice as good and is half the cost of DU. I would say go to DU.

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:03:18 PM »
I have lived in Colorado my whole life and I can tell you my own personal thoughts on the two schools. It basically boils down like this-DU has always had a really great reputation in Colorado. Everyone I know thinks of DU as an elite college with really really smart kids. On the other hand, CU has always been known as the party school, they always seem to show up in the news for deaths from alchohol poisoning or football rape cases. Basically CU is known as a hippie party school. Although it is true they are currently raned higher than DU, I bet that any Colorado native would be surprised to hear that. Very surprised! SO it is a tough call. I think if you want to stay in Colorado, DU is almost a better choice.

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »
I have lived in Colorado my whole life and I can tell you my own personal thoughts on the two schools. It basically boils down like this-DU has always had a really great reputation in Colorado. Everyone I know thinks of DU as an elite college with really really smart kids. On the other hand, CU has always been known as the party school, they always seem to show up in the news for deaths from alchohol poisoning or football rape cases. Basically CU is known as a hippie party school. Although it is true they are currently raned higher than DU, I bet that any Colorado native would be surprised to hear that. Very surprised! SO it is a tough call. I think if you want to stay in Colorado, DU is almost a better choice.

Your personal thoughts suck.

toxic tort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »

nice dirk, niiiiiice.

Old and in the Way

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 09:48:46 PM »
Colorado...no question.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 01:48:28 PM »
Ditto: Colorado, no question. Both schools have new facilities, Colorado even newer. Colorado ranks twice as high, their undergraduate programs are much more renowned, and the location is better. Boulder is a rocking place to study law and I also believe that it is less expensive than DU which is a private school. Lastly, just look at the quality of the student body, admissions stats and also the bar pass rates. DU admits a whole bunch of applicants with sub-150 LSATs, wheras CU is much more selective. DUs administration has some real problems as well, and placement is not that great. I know some current students and they regret there decision to attend there.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »
Admitted with sub-149 LSATs:

CU Boulder: 2
Univ of Denver: 72

Need I say more?

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 02:07:57 PM »

nice dirk, niiiiiice.

One perception on prestige is just a terrible way to gauge this choice.  Okay, I guess for a more articulate answer, I’d say it’s not clear cut, more of a personal preference issue.  

For CU:
1.   It’s way cheaper
2.   It’s a solid Tier1, and with a new building and solid faculty – will stay that way if not improve.  (has also been rising up USNWR last 3 yrs)
3.   Places solidly in CO business, very well with judges and govt (research state supreme court, other judges, DA’s, the Governor…)
4.   It has a WAY better bar passage rate (this point really matters)
5.   Boulder is beautiful, closer to recreation

Against CU:
1.   Pretty awful state funding sources, high dependency on student $$
2.   Business placement should be stronger  - given ranking
3.   “Party School” perception of undergrad – but this is debatable, yes there are alcohol deaths, police issues, etc..but also 4 nobel prizes in the last decade, nationally ranked programs, Enviro programs galore, Byron White Center
4.   Average salary should be better

For DU:
1.   Better Law School building (they’re pretty similar, but DU has a nice feel)
2.   Business connections in Denver – top 25% to top 10% place very well in big Denver firms.
3.   Healthy funding from school, perception of “elite” school.
4.   Denver is a fun city, seat of govt, etc…
5.   Steady rise up the 2nd Tier for a few years now, no reason to believe   they’ll stop getting better.
6.   Perception advantages – maybe this helps with dates or family, but people who know law probably don’t care at all.

Against DU:
1.   Very expensive, given the fairly low starting salary for those not in the top 25%
2.   Tier 2
3.   Terrible bar passage rates
4.   From purely anecdotal evidence (take this with a grain of salt) the career services placement dept. is not very helpful if you’re below the top 25%ile of the class. (however I have no evidence CU is any better)

Given these choices, if I were considering CU or DU, I would go with CU straight up or DU with a healthy scholarship.  However with both, it’s important to place well in your class, take advantage of summer internships, and make an effort to expand networking skills.  With this last point in mind, I return to my original comment, that it’s a personal preference issue: Generally speaking, the happier you are, the better you will do.  Placement is important with regional schools.  Don’t take CU if you hate Boulder, it might affect your performance.  Ditto with DU.  Also, remind yourself how fortunate you are to be going to either school, which very many prospective law students will be unable to attend.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 03:15:37 PM »
I think nowitzski did a pretty fair write up here.

As evidenced by my previous posts on various threads, I am very happy with my decision to attend DU. I have yet to talk to a classmate who says they regret their decision, or who feels unhappy.  Rather, there is huge level of school pride and everyone here loves DU and works to make it a better school.

Bottom line - if you get into both schools - visit them both, talk to students, weigh your financial options, think about what you want to do while you are in school and after graduation.  For me, having the option to work at a firm part time during my 2L and 3L year was huge...I like DU's location and local connections.  I know another student who decided to attend DU because of all of the moot court opportunitites available.  DU participates in every ABA competition - from appellate advocacy, to negotations, to mock trials... and they often place.  This student knew that he wanted to get some practical experience, and this made DU his top choice over a handful of other great schools.  Bottom line - many different reasons to choose your law school.

Nobody in Colorado will say "oh, you choose DU, or oh, you choose CU --- big mistake".  There is a healthy respect for both schools in Colorado.
2L

nfire1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 03:42:28 PM »
I will likely be going to one of these schools next year.  I moved to Boulder all for the purpose of getting into CU w/ in-state tuition!  But now I've learned a lot about DU and been to visit a few times and would definitely not feel bad about going there.  I work in a law office in Denver and practically everyone graduated from DU, so I know the job market should treat you well coming from DU.

And I'll repeat what everybody else said about people being surprised CU is ranked higher than DU.  My aunt and uncle didn't even believe me when I told them!
DU '10