Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!  (Read 10495 times)

lawgirl2b

• A 0L in progress and hopefully a 1L next fall!
    • View Profile
U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:41:13 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I've applied to both the University of Colorado and the University of Denver.  I have yet to recieve answers from any schools that I applied to, but Colorado and Denver are definitely my top two choices (I want to practice in or around Denver after I graduate). 

Anyways, because my apps are done I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice (pros and cons) etc about Colorado vs. Denver?  I know that I may not ultimately have a decision to make between the two, but I'm hoping to have the option of choosing between the two schools and I would just like to hear what other current or prospective students have to say about the two schools. Thanks!

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U. Colorado or U. Denver? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 01:53:27 PM »
I think CU places far better than DU.

Ok, I really need to be studying for my LAST exam that is tomorrow, but somehow I have gotten sucked back into this board over the last few weeks and can't help checking it. Grrr...

Anyway, I wanted to respond to this because I love DU and I think the opportunities the school provides us w/are pretty great.  I posted on this topic just two weeks ago...here is what I posted then...

------------------------
DU has around double the class size of CU, and therefore graduates twice as many alumni.  Over half (I believe around 65%) of the lawyers in the greater Denver area are DU almni, so recruiting and support for DU students is extremely strong.

The networking opportunities us DU students get by being centrally located in Denver are amazing.  As a 1L I have already gotten to interact with many local lawyers/firms , and they are always making dinners and other networking opportunities available.  I personally have 2 "mentors" at 2 different firms.  Events are at our fingertips - almost all Colorado Bar and ABA events are held in Denver.  Also, many 2L and 3Ls do part time internships or work for Denver firms while finishing up school.  This is an opportunity that Boulder students can't easily take advantage of because of the commute time.

CU is a great school and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it, but I also dont think it is fair to say that the CU places far better than DU.  Actually, I know this isnt true, because if you compare the career office stats, you will see that Denver slightly "outplaces" CU (money and % employed).  If anything, we have a stronger connection here in the greater Denver area. 

Just wanted to throw in my two cents...
2L

lawgirl2b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »
Thanks for weighing in with the opinions!

(I should have checked previous postings to see if anyone had already answered this question- Sorry Cesco!)

Is anyone on this board from CU just out of curiorsity (since we've heard the DU opinion)?

lawgirl2b

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
Oh and good luck on exams to everyone taking them!!!

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 01:47:50 PM »
CU is better than DU.  They just built a new building, which is a big time upgrade over their last one, and I think they are only going to keep rising up Tier 1.  DU places very well in Denver, and is very plugged into the local scene.  CU is more regional, and also places very well in Denver.  You should probably just go visit, they are close to eachother. 

I would disagree with the idea that "lay people think DU is much better than CU."  CU IS the public university in the state (medical, undergrad, grad) so it is doubtful they would think it was "much worse" than DU.

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:49:30 PM »
CU is better than DU.  They just built a new building, which is a big time upgrade over their last one, and I think they are only going to keep rising up Tier 1.  DU places very well in Denver, and is very plugged into the local scene.  CU is more regional, and also places very well in Denver.  You should probably just go visit, they are close to eachother. 

I would disagree with the idea that "lay people think DU is much better than CU."  CU IS the public university in the state (medical, undergrad, grad) so it is doubtful they would think it was "much worse" than DU.

Trust me. I live here.  Everyone where I work and live looks at me funny when I say I would rather go to Boulder.  Denver being private and more expensive, plus the fact that CU is a state school causes many to have a very severe bias towards DU.  This is the non-law person only I am talking about.

Also, your comment about the new building at CU and its potential to rise is accurate.

My cousin works in Denver, and frequently runs into CU people, Steve Farber, Norm Brownstein, etc...so I guess for each anecdote, there is an opposite experience.

nfire1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »
I applied to both schools, and while I am hoping for CU, I really would love to go to DU as well.  I've visited both buildings, and the building at DU (it was built like 3 years ago) I think is nicer than the new one at CU.
DU '10

KingOfSwords

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:53:39 AM »
Lawgirl:  As a current DU student, I must advise going to Colorado.  I know virtually nothing about CU-Boulder; I know only the problems with Denver, and they are many.  Among them are administration problems, course availability problems, an absolutely abysmal bar passage rate (and a faculty that seems determined to keep it that way, judging by recent curriculum revisions), and a generally subpar experience as compared to other schools.

Again, I cannot speak to the quality of CU.  But I find it very hard to believe that they could be any worse than DU. 

toxic tort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Actually, living and working in Denver, people I tell are somewhat surprised to learn CU's law school is "better" according to USNWR. This is probably because there are huge numbers of DU law graduates working and living in Denver (I work with several). That being said, I've worked with a number of law firms in Denver and I've gotten the chance to speak with a couple hiring partners, and from what I heard, your job prospects as far as Denver go are more or less similar from DU or CU.

I attended CU undergrad, and can tell you that as a whole, the state pretty much neglects higher education funding. In order to build the new law building, the university instituted a $400 fee to ALL students, undergrads included. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at CU and loved Boulder. YMMV, and I know an equal number of people who hated it.

I wouldn't worry about the commute time. If you plan on going to Denver a lot, you can live somewhere in between Denver and Boulder. I lived in Superior for a year and took a bus to campus. Downtown Denver is really not that far away.

Anyway, if you have any locale questions, or general questions about CU, feel free to PM me.

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 04:37:17 PM »
(1)bar passage rate from du is horrible. i could give scary anecdotes but i wont. suffice it to say some du grads will have very good careers but a decent minority will also have serious trouble even getting off the ground.
(2)the salary figures given by the schools are always idential, 45-80 or so. that is with a very high response rate from cu grads and a sub-50% response rate from du grads. the salary numbers are therefore not the same. from either school you will need TOP grades to get a big denver firm, most will go to small law, clerkships, or local govt positions. i honestly cant see a reason to go to du over cu unless they ended up giving you enough money to more than make up for the difference. being in denver is nice, cheaper, and better for networking but i think the differences between the two schools is often understated.
Emory '09