Law School Discussion

Deferral v Waitlist

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: Deferral v Waitlist
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »
So...

Deferral = We've looked at your app and dont want to make a decision. (Doesn't this basically put you in the same place as when you first applied [they can still say yes or no] except that they've put off flat out rejecting you for now? Am I missing something?)

Waitlist = We've basically decided no, except that if we can't fill our seats there's a small chance we'll call you up to see if you're still interested.

Yes, no, maybe, totally wrong?

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 11:15:47 PM »
So...

Deferral = We've looked at your app and dont want to make a decision. (Doesn't this basically put you in the same place as when you first applied [they can still say yes or no] except that they've put off flat out rejecting you for now? Am I missing something?)

Waitlist = We've basically decided no, except that if we can't fill our seats there's a small chance we'll call you up to see if you're still interested.

Sounds right to me.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 11:16:38 PM »
So...

This is the way I interpret it also.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 11:18:16 PM »
So...

Sounds right to me.

So why do people get so dang happy with deferrals? Because it's a step up "for now" from a rejection?  (I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious. I have heard nothing from any school [uh yeah, you just applied, dummy!] so I don't know what any of it really feels like.  Geeze, I sound like I'm on a reality show.  See? I've got the BITTER part down pat.)

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 11:21:46 PM »
So...

Sounds right to me.

So why do people get so dang happy with deferrals? Because it's a step up "for now" from a rejection?  (I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious. I have heard nothing from any school [uh yeah, you just applied, dummy!] so I don't know what any of it really feels like.  Geeze, I sound like I'm on a reality show.  See? I've got the BITTER part down pat.)

You are once again correct. For example(I have only one): While I wasn't "thrilled" with my Berkeley deferral, I was pleased considering my GPA and the fact that they will now take an in-depth look at my application, rather than summarily rejecting me. At least you know someone is taking a look.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 11:22:52 PM »
Ahhh... well see? That makes perfect sense. :)

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 11:27:12 PM »
So...

Sounds right to me.

I was deferred and I wasn't happy about it. But it made me feel better than an outright rejection. I was deferred at a school where I applied EA, and I was promised a decision by the beginning of April. So to me, it was just them saying we aren't sure we want you yet so we're gonna consider you with RD applicants. If we get someone better then no, but in case we don't we don't wanna let you go yet. So I would rather know by April than get wailisted and have to potentially ride it out through the summer (or just never hear anything at all).

And I feel you on the BITTER part.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 11:37:59 PM »
I was deferred and I wasn't happy about it. But it made me feel better than an outright rejection. I was deferred at a school where I applied EA, and I was promised a decision by the beginning of April. So to me, it was just them saying we aren't sure we want you yet. If we get someone better then no, but in case we don't we don't wanna let you go yet. So I would rather know by April than get wailisted and have to potentially ride it out through the summer (or just never hear anything at all).

And I feel you on the BITTER part.

Okay, so I can understand that perfectly well also. I would have to be Waitlisted at a heck of an amazing school in order to want to ride it out ALL SUMMER! Omg... That would suck. I plan on being out of the country over the summer and that would make me soooo nervous about finding housing etc! Gah.

And yeah. Bitter.

Edited: I took down all the reasons I am bitter because I just sounded like a whiney child.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »
At the same time, Texas basically deferred anyone who applied early and wasn't an auto-admit (because if they were auto-admits, they were accepted...). So At least in some school's cases, I think deferred just means you applied early, and need to be reviewed with the rest of the applicant pool.

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 05:42:39 AM »
I think everyone's being too negative.

Deferral = They have accepted some people, but they have also REJECTED many people (even said that in my SECOND stupid kentucky "deferral"(they don't call it that)!), so they are choosing NOT to reject you.  Which is good.  No promises for the future, but it does give you an extra chance to persuade them.

Waitlist = We want you, but we don't have room right now, but we may have room later.  We'll let you know.

If they didn't want you at all, they wouldn't waitlist you.  It's almost a pat on the back, saying that you COULD be accepted, but there just isn't room for everyone and maybe some other person had a .01 higher GPA or something.

I wouldn't be happy or said about either.  Although, being waitlisted or even deferred for a time at a reach school feels good, b/c then you konw that you actually DID have a chance, y'know?