Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What happens to low GPA/high LSAT people?  (Read 3965 times)

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to low GPA/high LSAT people?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm wondering the same thing.

I have a very low GPA (2.66 - It's a long story) but a decent LSAT (163) for the school I most want (Drake.)

I'm hoping that though my index is quite average there, having my app in very early (almost 2 months ago) and the high LSAT will get me in.

Just reread your post... you want Drake? You're money in the bank there.

PantherHawk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »
You should do a search for the term "splitters" - we had a couple of threads going last year wherein we documented the cycle.  Look for the Hall of Fame and Rolllling the Dice threads in particular.  Our crew did pretty well, so it should prove reassuring.  I'm a splitter myself - sub-3.0 GPA and 170+ LSAT - but I wouldn't recommend paying too much attention to me.  My case was a little weird. 

Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out. It looks like most are applying to top-14 schools, and I'm not doing that, so I hope I have better luck with a more 'reasonable' school.

I did apply to Iowa, as an Iowa resident I know they have to take a large majority of residents, so I'm hoping that helps a bit with them.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 09:53:03 PM »
You should do a search for the term "splitters" - we had a couple of threads going last year wherein we documented the cycle.  Look for the Hall of Fame and Rolllling the Dice threads in particular.  Our crew did pretty well, so it should prove reassuring.  I'm a splitter myself - sub-3.0 GPA and 170+ LSAT - but I wouldn't recommend paying too much attention to me.  My case was a little weird. 

Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out. It looks like most are applying to top-14 schools, and I'm not doing that, so I hope I have better luck with a more 'reasonable' school.

I did apply to Iowa, as an Iowa resident I know they have to take a large majority of residents, so I'm hoping that helps a bit with them.

Law school admissions is often a game where optimism pays. Playing it too safe could hurt your career prospects. If money is an issue, most schools will give you fee waivers. You should definitely try at least NU, UMich, or GULC.
Penn Law '09

db2ur

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »

Law school admissions is often a game where optimism pays. Playing it too safe could hurt your career prospects. If money is an issue, most schools will give you fee waivers. You should definitely try at least NU, UMich, or GULC.

This cannot be seconded/emphasized/repeated enough.  At no other point in your life will you be given the chance to risk $80 for the possibility of so much.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »

This cannot be seconded/emphasized/repeated enough.  At no other point in your life will you be given the chance to risk $80 for the possibility of  so much.

I said this to my boyfriend about possibly spending $1k on all my apps - his response is that the money would be better spent on lots of lottery tickets.   :D
University of Toledo 0L

db2ur

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 02:46:34 PM »

This cannot be seconded/emphasized/repeated enough.  At no other point in your life will you be given the chance to risk $80 for the possibility of  so much.

I said this to my boyfriend about possibly spending $1k on all my apps - his response is that the money would be better spent on lots of lottery tickets.   :D

I'm sure you kindly and firmly refuted his response.  And then dropped another $XX.  I know I would've.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 03:03:37 PM »
Well I havent applied yet but I'm sure I'll spend $500 at the very least.  He was just being a bum because he applied  to only 1 business school and got in, but that wont  happen to me!
University of Toledo 0L

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 06:12:20 PM »
If you are a big split, you will benefit by doing the following things
1) apply EARLY.  I am not saying do not apply right now, but if your "friend" has not applied yet he would do alot better w/ the top 30 if he waited till Fall 08 admissions cycle.
bringing me to my second point which I believe several people several people have said, but
2) get a little distance between UG and your apps.  If you want to go to law school now, you do have a shot but if you goal is a T14 and you have a 170+ getting an interesting job (not necessarily as a paralegal ... I have heard horror stories...) will do wonders.

but seriously, a 3.2 or whatever, is not really that bad.  Was your friend a science major?  that could help...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

PantherHawk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 08:28:55 PM »
I'm wondering the same thing.

I have a very low GPA (2.66 - It's a long story) but a decent LSAT (163) for the school I most want (Drake.)

I'm hoping that though my index is quite average there, having my app in very early (almost 2 months ago) and the high LSAT will get me in.

Just reread your post... you want Drake? You're money in the bank there.

I hope so, I appreciate the encouragement, but I'll feel better once that packet arrives!  :D I'm also applying to Iowa, but I have residency (they must have 80% of each incoming class as residents) so we'll see.

From what I've seen and read, it does look "easier" to make up for Low GPA then low LSAT. I'll be out 6 years this spring, so hopefully that helps as well.

Good luck to all! Stressful and exciting all at once, isn't it?

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »
Yeah, so my "friend" (why are we still keeping the charade up?) was a philosophy/linguistics double major and has been a paralegal at a v100 dc firm since I graduated. And now that you know I'm a paralegal, you know that I have no desire to stick around for fall 08 admissions.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean