Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What happens to low GPA/high LSAT people?  (Read 3925 times)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
What happens to low GPA/high LSAT people?
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »
A "friend" of mine has a 3.23 GPA but has extremely reasonable expectations of scoring in the mid 170's (according to his memory, confidence, and PMs). Even with the high LSAT, does his GPA preclude him from going to t14s? I figure the best way for me, er, him, to counteract the low GPA is cast a really wide net, but 10 schools is already pretty expensive. Thoughts?
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

db2ur

Re: What happens to low GPA/high LSAT people?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:40:59 AM »
That GPA does not preclude admission to T14.  Your 'friend' will likely need a 173ish to bank on admission somewhere in the T14.  May not be worth applying to the upper T14, if you, ahem, he really want(s) to make cuts - but I'd advise against it.  The 60-85 bucks now are kind of irrelevant in the long run.  Schools will often waive application fees if you demonstrate need.

wilax3man

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't mess with us pal, We're from New York...
    • View Profile
    • LSN! Leave me a message!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »
hey, i'm a splitter (169, 3.38) and I was accepted ED to UMich.  I think your friend definitely has a shot at T14 depending on his soft factors.  I think HYSCCN is prob out of the question, but Michigan, Duke, Penn, GULC are def. within reach if he scores as well as you predict.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of Twenty-Ten

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »
Man, people on this forum are way too helpful and friendly. Where are the responses like "They go to hell" or other completely unrelated posts?
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 01:38:49 PM »
Man, people on this forum are way too helpful and friendly. Where are the responses like "They go to hell" or other completely unrelated posts?
http://www.xoxohth.com/?forum_id=2&PHPSESSID=7b355ff8a6b0c0868db94ace01cde09b
Columbia 3L

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • it rubs the lotion on its skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:43:19 PM »

here you go

"they go to hell"
MSU 2010

PantherHawk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:29:53 PM »
I'm wondering the same thing.

I have a very low GPA (2.66 - It's a long story) but a decent LSAT (163) for the school I most want (Drake.)

I'm hoping that though my index is quite average there, having my app in very early (almost 2 months ago) and the high LSAT will get me in.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:41:05 PM »
You should do a search for the term "splitters" - we had a couple of threads going last year wherein we documented the cycle.  Look for the Hall of Fame and Rolllling the Dice threads in particular.  Our crew did pretty well, so it should prove reassuring.  I'm a splitter myself - sub-3.0 GPA and 170+ LSAT - but I wouldn't recommend paying too much attention to me.  My case was a little weird. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:43:01 PM »
I'm wondering the same thing.

I have a very low GPA (2.66 - It's a long story) but a decent LSAT (163) for the school I most want (Drake.)

I'm hoping that though my index is quite average there, having my app in very early (almost 2 months ago) and the high LSAT will get me in.

The further out of school you are, the better. I had nearly identical numbers to you but had been out since spring '02. From what I've learned talked to people around LS and in following this admission process the two previous years is that it's much easier to make up for a poor GPA than for a poor LSAT.

purveyor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 09:44:09 PM »
You have a running shot at a good number of t14 schools (i.e. UMich, Cornell, Duke, Virginia, Georgetown), and although I would apply to HYSCCN, why wouldn't bank on it~

:)
Attending: CHICAGO!!!!!
In: Boalt, Georgetown, UCLA, Stanford, NYU, CHICAGO! UPenn~

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=purveyor