Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How about height...?  (Read 1599 times)

rdlnl11

• View Profile
How about height...?
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:23:05 AM »
Michigan is the only state with any kind of anti-discrimination laws explicitly protecting people of short stature.. I am 5'6", so I'm not the shortest guy out there, but I have experienced discrimination due to my height..

So what I'm wondering is this.. Will I have a greater chance of acceptance at Michigan if I write either an addendum or a personal statement describing my run-ins with height discrimination??

It seems perfectly plausible to me..

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
Re: How about height...?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:26:18 AM »
LOL...
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

rdlnl11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:57:59 PM »
I'm just trying to think of any edge (white, middle-class).. others may greatly benefit from their situation, whether they've actually been discriminated against..
All I am saying is that it's worth a shot..

oh I still rode the big rides, I was definitely average height for a kid 
..then I just stopped growing.. I only grew 1/2 inch through all of high school

cleanwatifah, if you have to brush it off, aren't you experiencing it nonetheless? It is fact that taller guys (on average) make 1000/yr more per inch.. a lot of the time discrimination is not even overt.. Also, people are quick to discard this type of discrimination, well except for the state of Michigan..

chrissy82

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are grasping at straws and if you were to include this in your personal statement or as an addendum, an admissios committee would think so too. It very well might have the opposite effect and hurt your application.

rdlnl11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »
Well I sat down and I tried to think about anything that could bolster my application and this came to mind.. I was only half-way serious, and the more we discuss it, the more I realize it's a ridiculous idea..  :P thanks for the comments

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:39:12 PM »
When I was 9 years old, I wore a size 9 (women's shoe).  When I was 10 I wore a size 10 shoe, and when I was 11 I wore a size 11 shoe.  I was very scared, but my feet stopped there.  (This part is true.)

All my life, I have had to overcome the stigma of large feet.  Other children would point and laugh.  The only shoes I could find to wear were clown shoes and skis.  Despite this, I managed to graduate from college and find a job.  I believe that my tenacity will be an asset to your law school.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »
When I was 9 years old, I wore a size 9 (women's shoe).  When I was 10 I wore a size 10 shoe, and when I was 11 I wore a size 11 shoe.  I was very scared, but my feet stopped there.  (This part is true.)

All my life, I have had to overcome the stigma of large feet.  Other children would point and laugh.  The only shoes I could find to wear were clown shoes and skis.  Despite this, I managed to graduate from college and find a job.  I believe that my tenacity will be an asset to your law school.

Is your name Peggy Hill???
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »

Mmmmmm.  That's good satire.

Did I mention my crazy long arms?  I can only buy sweaters and long-sleeved shirts from a few select places on the internet.  My arm span is 6'3", even though I am only 5'9".  Supposedly, one's arm span is supposed to be roughly equivalent to one's height.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

That's a really impressive armspan.  I'm sure you're breathtakingly majestic.

I like you!!

ari.ben.canaan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 06:14:30 PM »

Dear Adcomm,

Throughout my childhood, I was a very skinny kid. I was weak and could hardly stand up for myself. I used to be very embarrassed of my appearance. But then I started lifting and became a big strong guy. Girls like me now and guys don't dare to abuse me anymore! So that is how I have overcome a major hardship in my life. Please consider this when reviewing my application. I promise I won't bully my classmates if you give me a scholarship and keep me happy that way.

(I.e., no offense, but... this is ridiculous)