Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA deflated by LSAC  (Read 2523 times)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: GPA deflated by LSAC
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 07:46:28 AM »
my almost-respectable 2.87 is now a putrid 2.51  :'(
can anyone beat a -0.36 ??

I can.  My GPA was a 3.0something (it's been a while) and when LSAC was through it was a 2.66.  Ah well, I enjoy my status as the *likely* all-time lowest uGPA at my school. :D
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:26:16 AM »

I guess it depends which reasons are considered legitimate in the grade-deflation game.  Worst-case, LSAC deflated mine by -.75 (3.75 to 3.0).  Take that, Jolie!

That's right VU, always having to one-up me!  That's okay, my deflated GPA still pwns your deflated GPA...yours isn't nearly as unprestigious, although it is a contender.

Finally taking my final final this morning.  Celebrations will be in order this weekend.  Hope your first week back is going well!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

radar1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 01:01:11 PM »
I've seen worse, but they have mostly been Canadian to US conversions :/

I'm a Canadian. LSAC screwed me with a 2.96. While I don't have any way of calculating the equivalent 4-point GPA, I had a 74% average, and graduated with Academic Honors (which LSAC included on my report, just for the sheer irony I'm sure).

My school (and most Canadian schools) give percentages 0-100. The letter equivalent varies province to province, but at my school and most in Ontario:

80%-100% = A
70%-80% = B
60%-70% = C
50%-60% = D
Below 50 = F

You also have to take into account grade inflation at US schools.  It's almost like American schools are an 'octave' higher with their grading systems.  On the whole, everyone is given much higher grades.  There were a fair amount of American students at my school, and in first year they were all a little shocked to recieve lower grades than they were used to in High School.

Honors standing at most Canadian schools is a 70-75 or higher average.  If you get a high 70 in a course, you've done very well. Class averages are usually kept in the 60s. Top students get 80's, and I never met anyone who wasn't an Edu. or Languages major who had a 90% average. Profs just don't give 90s.

Hence, while a mid-70 to 80's is a very respectable grade in Canada, LSAC in all their xenophobic arrogance has no pity for Canadians.

LSAC gave me a 2.96, and has had no compassion for my multiple pleas for a review.

I've included a addendum with my application explaining all of this to the schools that I've applied to.  I hope they notice my Honors standing, and the LOR that the Dean of Social Sciences at my school wrote (who thought very highly of my abilities)

In all reality, I think my grades would be around a 3.5, 3.6 in a US school.

schadenfreude

• Coming to a law school near you..in 2008.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 01:18:11 AM »
my almost-respectable 2.87 is now a putrid 2.51  :'(

I'll have to keep this in mind when it comes time for me to pay the LSAC piper...I bet I can beat you with a -.6 or so...and I won't even tell you where my starting point is...(hint..below you!)
Fall 2007 Application List
Oregon, Miami, Florida State, Florida, USC, UCLA, McGeorge,LSU, Kentucky, USD, Montana, New Mexico, UWashington, Georgetown, South Carolina