Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting into Texas law schools (realistically!)  (Read 830 times)

lionheart

• AOL Instant Messenger - Quiksilvdude616
    • View Profile
    • Email
Getting into Texas law schools (realistically!)
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:41:17 AM »
So I don't know about anyone else, but I'm freaking out about law school and I'm barely in my second year of undergrad with Junior status. I'm trying to get into the University of Texas School of Law as my ultimate goal (and no doubt the goal of countless others) and any other law schools in Texas are open options as well (preferably public institutions and SMU as the only private I would really consider).

Please give me as much feedback as possible. My stats are:

Hispanic (Mexican-American) male
Resident of Texas
Majoring in Government and minoring in Business Foundations at the University of Texas at Austin (same school I want to get into really bad!!!)
Have on board for Letters of Recommendation one professor so far who taught Public Policy
Planning to get an internship at Texas Capitol
Planning to join a pre-law fraternity and possibly one other org.
Current GPA of 3.4 but dropped a major that was bringing it down (Philosophy ug!)
And unknown ability on LSATS as of yet (so hopefully someone can give me some realistic ranges for my stats)
Oh and by the way...gay at that with a liberal bent. Don't know if I should mention being gay at all to either whoever reads this or on application materials. Try not to judge me too harshly.

Thanks so much!

Nart

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting into Texas law schools (realistically!)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 04:51:27 AM »
If you really want to go to law school, you go can. Just depends on the ranks you're willing to go for.

If UT fails you, check out Baylor, Texas Tech, or what's that other one? Texas Wes...something. They sent me some stuff in the mail. Plenty of schools to choose from. Don't worry until you've gotten your LSAT score, that way you can gauge where you'll fall.

lionheart

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:56:46 AM »
Hehe thanks. Obviously I am going crazy to the point where I'm posting this early in the morning and the week of finals.  :o

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:08:19 AM »
1.  Stop freaking out.  It's way too early.

2.  Get the best grades you can from here on out.  However, continue to take courses that challenge and stimulate you -- it not only helps enlighten you, but will also come in handy when you actually do get to law school.

3.  Being LGBT is no problem -- in fact, it sometimes helps when applying to law school.

4.  Don't join clubs because you think they sound good.  Join them because you really want to get involved.  It appears the ECs that draw the most attention from adcomms are those in which candidates display lots of leadership and passionate involvement.  Fewer ECs with more effort will go a long way, and probably make your life a lot easier, as well.

5.  You are a URM.  At UT, if you can get your GPA above 3.5, since you're in-state, you'd need an LSAT of above 165 to feel good about your chances.  If you can score around 168 or above, you'll be automatic with your URM status, as far as I'm concerned.  Start looking at LSATs now, but don't get all worked up about writing the exam yet.  You've got plenty of time to get familiar with it, and it is learnable (for the most part).

6.  Have some f-ing fun, man.  It's undergrad!   :D
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

lionheart

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:18:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I do admit I'm getting wayyy to worked up over it. I've begin to check out LSAT practice books as we speak and I plan to go over it during the winter break. As far as ECs are concerned I really wanted to do the pre-law frat for the work they do in practice tests and overall networking. I really also want to join some other dedicated organization that I can really care about passionately as well.

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 02:59:28 PM »
I don't know about Baylor. That school really frustrates me sometimes. As far as I know, the other Texas schools are all pretty groovy, but I get this kind of stuff from Baylor:

Baylor Business School Dismisses Gay Alumni from Board
http://www.case.edu/provost/lgbt/national.html

Kicked off the board for his “alternative lifestye,” Tim Smith, a Log Cabin member and alumnus of Baylor University, has served for five years on the advisory board at Baylor's Hankamer School of Business.  Smith, who is also a graduate of the Harvard Business School, has contributed more than $65,000 to Baylor and raised more than $60,000 to establish an academic scholarship endowment at Baylor.

In a statement, Dr. Terry Maness, dean of Baylor's business school said, “We must be sensitive to the position of our affiliated denomination, the Baptist General Convention of Texas, which has, on previous occasions, stated that a homosexual lifestyle is incompatible with most Baptist interpretations of Scripture.”

“Baylor University's Business School is ignoring the policy of the vast majority of Fortune 500 companies who protect gay and lesbian workers,” said Patrick Guerriero, President of Log Cabin Republicans.  “The business school's decision to dismiss an alumnus from the school's advisory board because he's gay shows this institution is intolerant and out of touch with 21 st century corporate America.”

Starbucks Coffee Cups 'Too Gay'
http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/09/092005coffee.htm

"Maupin, whose "Tales of the City" chronicled gay life in San Francisco's homosexual in the 1970s and 1980s, is quoted on the cups as saying "I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

This week Baylor University ordered the campus Starbucks outlet to pull the cup campaign, even though the Maupin quote was just one of about 100.

Dining contractor Aramark which has the Starbucks franchise on the campus said it was told by Baylor that the quote was inappropriate at a Baptist University."

They've also kicked students out of the University or revoked their scholarships for being gay.

SMU, on the other hand, has a school-sponsored LGBT group. And it's in a real city.

SuzyQ06

• Sr. Citizen
  • I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:45:26 PM »
I'm a 1L at Texas Tech currently.  If you have any Qs I'll try my best to answer them.  Tech, for sure, values a high GPA which is quite the opposite of other law schools in Texas.  I second Cookie Monster's advice.  Lay off the prep for now.  Concentrate on getting one last semester of really goods grades and then start prepping. 

If you have any Q's about Tech, other Texas law schools, or law school in general, let me know.  I may not get back to you for a few days but I will respond.  I have my last final tomorrow and so help me, I hope I make it back to my apartment (either b/c A- the final may have killed me or B- I'll need a sober driver.).

For now though, concentrate on grades and living the college experience.  i wish I had done more of that. 

db2ur

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 04:21:25 PM »
First - relax.  You are way ahead of the game, and ahead of yourself, for that matter.

Second - law school admissions, contrary to the feel you might get from reading this board, are more or less transparent.  You will know, with a reasonable margin of error, where you can & can't get in.

Third - concentrate on your GPA.  A 3.4 is nothing to get excited about in the law school admission game, but it's a good start.

Fourth - There is no solid way to guess LSAT based on GPA.  I predict somewhere between a 125 and a 175, +- five points.

If you care (read:obsess) this much already, you are going to either a)do fine or b)drive yourself and those around you nuts.  Choose a.