Law School Discussion

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: Florida State 2L taking questions
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 12:19:06 PM »
thanks for the response budlaw!  i really appreciate it!

No problem. Good luck!

how would you compare tallahassee to gainesville, city-wise?

budlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
thanks for the response budlaw!  i really appreciate it!

No problem. Good luck!

how would you compare tallahassee to gainesville, city-wise?

To be honest with you I can't compare the two. I've never been to Gainesville except to go by it down 75. All I know is that Gainesville is full of Florida fans, so nothing interests me there. I have heard that there aren't really any law clerk opportunities in Gainesville. I also hear that it's more of a traditional college town, whereas why there are two large universities in Tallahassee,  there's also the State Capital here.

Sorry I just don't have any first hand knowledge about Gainesville. 

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 03:03:05 PM »
blueangel.. i did my UG in Gainesville.  I like the feel of G-ville better than Tally (why I originally chose UF over FSU for UG) but I can't say exactly why.  I think Tally just looked too Southern to me, if that makes any sense. If you have any questions about Gville, PM me.. don't want to hijack the thread.

I'm anxious to visit FSU's law school though, because for some reason I didn't like the feel of UF's.  I think part of it may be that I just finished a master's program that caters to working people so I may just be used to being around people who are a bit older... so I may get the same feel about FSU. 

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 03:59:01 PM »
whats the dating situation like for older students(mid 30's)?

whats a nice apartment go for?

budlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 06:01:13 PM »
Dating for mid-30's - well I'm not sure. I'm in my late 20's and it's a pretty good scene for me, but most bars are geared for the undergrad age. But, there's a few bars that are geared towards older people as well. Just less. So I suppose it's doable.

A nice apartment goes anywhere from 650 to 900. So it's not bad. It just depends on the location.

whats the dating situation like for older students(mid 30's)?

whats a nice apartment go for?

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »

I read the other post that a SMU 2L is having a hard time finding job in Dallas that pays more than 10/hour and he is between top 50% and top 30%.  So, how are people doing at FSU who are around in the middle of the class??

budlaw

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 06:14:18 PM »
To be honest with you I don't know. I'm not in that range. However it's been my experience that even people who aren't in the top of the class can get jobs. They just have to work for it. If you send out mailers and REALLY try to get a job you'll get one. This requires you to do more than just submit your resume for an OCI or e-mail a potential lawfirm your resume.

Further, I know for a fact that people who are in that range you speak of get jobs as clerks in town during school. We have people in the bottom half of the class that are working as a clerk at a law firm or an agency in town. This employers look more at "fit" than actually at grades when they interview people for law clerk positions.

But that being said, I don't know the real statistics because A: I'm not in that range and B: It's been my experience that most people at law school really just don't care to get a summer job or job during school. You'd be suprised once you get to school at how many people you talk to who don't want to work.(that or they prefer to bum off thier parents)

I know this is a crazy idea, but this discussion board and everyone else on it is not what the average law student is all about. Most of them don't care if they have a summer associate job locked up or not. They figure they'll just get a job when they graduate. And you know what? They they will. The statistics don't lie. FSU has a 75 percent employment rate at graduation, and a 99 percent employment rate 9 months after graduation.

I read the other post that a SMU 2L is having a hard time finding job in Dallas that pays more than 10/hour and he is between top 50% and top 30%.  So, how are people doing at FSU who are around in the middle of the class??

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 02:08:37 AM »
But that being said, I don't know the real statistics because A: I'm not in that range and B: It's been my experience that most people at law school really just don't care to get a summer job or job during school. You'd be suprised once you get to school at how many people you talk to who don't want to work.(that or they prefer to bum off thier parents)

I know this is a crazy idea, but this discussion board and everyone else on it is not what the average law student is all about. Most of them don't care if they have a summer associate job locked up or not. They figure they'll just get a job when they graduate. And you know what? They they will. The statistics don't lie. FSU has a 75 percent employment rate at graduation, and a 99 percent employment rate 9 months after graduation.

I think this not too eager to get summer associate jobs might have to do with the fact that FSU tuition is less than 10G and COL is low, thus therre is not the pressure to start paying off law school loans...