Law School Discussion

budlaw

« on: December 10, 2006, 02:14:47 PM »

Re: Florida State 2L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 05:00:30 PM »
I received a scholarship from FSU but it's only for the first year.  They say, of course, that I would be able to apply for others for 2 and 3L.  How hard is it to obtain scholarships after 1L? Do the top students in the class get scholarships or are they based on grades and a bunch of soft factors?

How are the facilities at FSU? Do the students there still have the UG mentality?

What are the job prospects like for summers and upon graduation?

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:06:51 PM »
I currently attend FSU Undergrad and have applied to the Law School as well. How do you like the environment at FSU? How are the students and professors? thanks in advance..Go Noles!

budlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 09:50:35 PM »
I received a scholarship from FSU but it's only for the first year.  They say, of course, that I would be able to apply for others for 2 and 3L.  How hard is it to obtain scholarships after 1L? Do the top students in the class get scholarships or are they based on grades and a bunch of soft factors?

How are the facilities at FSU? Do the students there still have the UG mentality?

What are the job prospects like for summers and upon graduation?

I currently attend FSU Undergrad and have applied to the Law School as well. How do you like the environment at FSU? How are the students and professors? thanks in advance..Go Noles!

I'll try to address all your questions:

Scholarships:
Generally everyone has to apply your second and third year. They are handed out to people that have done well while at the lawschool. I didn't apply this past year so I don't know what the specific criteria are. (not that I'm a bad student - I'm just lazy and didn't get the form in on time) They say financial need is considered, but I'm calling bull on that because pretty much if you've made it past your first year, you have financial need. I believe you have to do well to get a scholarship though. Scholarships are also handed out to minorities as well. I believe these are much more lax than normal scholarships. You can also apply for university Fellowships, and these take into consideration your undergraduate records, LSAT and class standing in the lawschool. I recommend asking the Director of Admissions, Sharon Booker, for more specific information on scholarships.

Also keep in mind that even if you don't get a scholarship your 2nd or third year, FSU is a public school, and even non-florida residents can get resident tuition thier 2nd and third year. So tuition is cheap at around $9500 a year.

Facilities:
No complaints here. The Law building is very up to date. Very nice classrooms - they actually added a couple this past summer, and the entire law building is wireless. Further, I like the law library. It won't knock your socks off, but it is very servicable. We also have a Starbucks inside the lawschool, which is very nice. Parking at the lawschool does suck though.

UG mentality?
Not exactly sure what you're asking here. For the most part everyone is very studious, but we do like to have fun as well. SBA sponsers a social pretty much every week, so you can kick back if you'd like. That being said - most kids don't go out to every night and most are prepared for class everyday. But like everything there are exceptions to the rule. We have a nice mix of kids straight out of UG and people that have been in the workforce for a few (if not many) years. I personally like the atmoshphere. It also helps that the law building is at the very corner of campus, so we're not in the middle of Undergrad central.

Job Prospects:
I'll start with Summer prospects. For 2L's they're pretty much like any other high Tier 2, low Tier 1 school - good if you're in the top 25% of the class, or if you're on Law Review, a Journal, Moot Court or mock trial - at least for the high paying summer jobs. For everyone else, you'll be strugling a little to find the high paying job. I was lucky enough to get a summer associate gig next summer at a firm in Orlando and I'm in the top 15% of the class. (but no law review, Journal, Moot Court or Mock Trial) I got it thorugh OCI, so its do-able. We actually have a lot of firms come to school and participate in OCI, and we have a lot that participate in the Atlanta, Miami, and Birmingham Off campus program, so the career services office does a good job of promoting FSU.

I will warn you that getting a high paying summer associate job as a 1L is difficult. But you'll find this at most schools other than the top ones. Just a fact of life. But it is do-able. (just not that many people get them)

However, if you don't have the high class standing or the extras, you'll be struggling to get that high paying summer job - but there are other options. FSU is located in Tallahassee and there are a ton of small firms here in town that always are looking for clerks. Pay's not too bad either (but it's not summer associate pay) I currently clerk at a local firm. The pay range runs from 12 to 25 dollars per hour depending on the local firm. Clerking is also a good idea for you if you want experience during the summer after your 1L if you can't find a summer associate position.

Also keep in mind that there are a lot of agencies and opportunities to work at state and federal court houses and the legislature and state senate as an FSU student.

Job Prospects after graduation:
Straight from admissions office: Around 75 percent at graduation, and 99 percent 9 months after graduation. So it's pretty good if you ask me. I don't know what the average starting salary is off the top of my head. You can find this out from admissions though.

Professors
I like all mine. They are very knowledgable and most have an open door policy. Couldn't say nicer things about them. A lot of nationally recognized experts in certain legal fields and a lot professors with advanced or graduate degrees to go along with their J.D.

Hope this helps. I'd recommend that if you are interested to come and schedule a tour, or attend admitted students day in the Spring.

Good Luck

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 11:44:01 PM »
what are the prospects then forr somebody in the 50-70th percentile of the class when it comes to a firm job?

Is it like 70-80ish in Orl, Jax, MIA or is it lower than that firmwise?

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Sent you a PM on the Current Student side...

thx

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 05:40:08 PM »
thanks for the response budlaw!  i really appreciate it!

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 08:25:08 PM »
tag

budlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »
what are the prospects then forr somebody in the 50-70th percentile of the class when it comes to a firm job?

Is it like 70-80ish in Orl, Jax, MIA or is it lower than that firmwise?

You can always get a firm job with 50 to 70th percentile, you just have to work harder to get it.

Jacksonville runs anywere from 50 to 100k.

Orlandon runs pretty much the same.

Miami can run up to 115K.

Check out www.nalpdirectory.com for more specifics, but be warned that they don't list all firms that are located in those cities. There are tons more than nalpdirectory lists. So it's a little misleading.

budlaw

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 12:14:09 PM »
thanks for the response budlaw!  i really appreciate it!

No problem. Good luck!