Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asian or white: which one gives me more of an edge?  (Read 1897 times)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Asian or white: which one gives me more of an edge?
« on: December 10, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »
I'm half-Asian with a 3.23 GPA and a 177 LSAT. I'm wondering: if I put Asian down, will this hurt my chances? As in, do Asians have to be 4.0 180 to have a chance at t14s lke in college? Would I be beter off putting down white? I generally don't like to take advantage of something out of my control, but college apps screwed me, and I'd rather not gamble with my future again.

Clearly, I'm bitter about college. I got rejected outright from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke, and Colmbia, waitlisted at UVA, accepted into the UNC honors program, and accepted into the William and Mary program with a full ride. 1540 SAT, 4.424 GPA. It's not any individual rejection that surprised me, but rather the cumulative sum.

I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Asian or white: which one gives me more of an edge?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
I've seen many law schools just talk about their overall minority numbers, like USC listing about "37% self identified minority students" on their diversity stuff.  Don't worry, I highly doubt it will hurt you either way.  Your score is excellent, schools like excellent scores, you're golden. 

Your undergrad experience may just be a crazy anomaly, or maybe work on soft factors - PS, LOR, ECs - this time around.  I am not sure on the LSD consensus on LSAT v. SAT but from my experience and LSN, supply & demand factors seem to advantage high scoring applicants pretty consistently.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:39:27 PM »
yeah, that's what i was wondering, but there seems to be growing discontent in the asian american comunity regarding college admissions. and if youve got a good idea where il end up, id love to know. im worried my 3.23 gpa is realy going to drag down my chances of t14.
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:17:16 PM »
I don't think you can really generalize based on undergrad, because there are a lot of factors that go into that other than SAT/GPA. Kids that get into the schools that you mentioned not only have the grades and the SAT score, but usually have other impressive extracurricular activities and are at or very near the top of their class.

I think your GPA may hurt you, especially if you are not in a hard science major and coming straight from undergrad. That doesn't have anything to do with your race, but more that a school doesn't want to accept someone who is a good test-taker but otherwise lazy.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 02:20:14 PM »
If you're not African-American, decline to share. Simple as that. You will receive no benefit from it, and potential disadvantage.

apollok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 02:45:42 PM »
i'm guessing your last name is a european one?

Cantillon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »
Choose white if your last name is European.  Identifying yourself as Asian can only hurt in my opinion.  Asians are hurt more at the undergraduate level because the admissions process is less numbers based.   From reading the recent articles about the lawsuit against Princeton, one belief is that if you identify yourself as Asian, they'll assume you're quiet, unassertive, and a "math-grind" unless you prove yourself otherwise. 

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 03:17:16 PM »
thanks for all the opinions/advice. yeah, last name is polish (gniadek). i was a philosophy/linguistics major, and i would think being a science major would be easier since there are actually objectively correct answers. kills self, which school is your scool? thanks!

warholmuse

• Sr. Citizen
  • 'I'd rather have a bottle than a frontal lobotomy'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 03:20:14 PM »
Choose white if your last name is European.  Identifying yourself as Asian can only hurt in my opinion.  Asians are hurt more at the undergraduate level because the admissions process is less numbers based.   From reading the recent articles about the lawsuit against Princeton, one belief is that if you identify yourself as Asian, they'll assume you're quiet, unassertive, and a "math-grind" unless you prove yourself otherwise. 

Ahhhhh, i hate that stereotype. I'm the complete opposite of all those characteristics, yet i'm pegged as that upon first impressions. Sucks to be me. :-[
If you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 04:35:13 PM »
thanks for all the opinions/advice. yeah, last name is polish (gniadek). i was a philosophy/linguistics major, and i would think being a science major would be easier since there are actually objectively correct answers. kills self, which school is your scool? thanks!

The "problem" with science majors is that there's also objectively incorrect answers, and anything except a perfect answer is generally wrong when you're past high school :) Having studied both science-related subjects and humanities I have to say it's a lot easier to land good grades in humanities, at least if you're fairly skilled at elaborate writing.