Law School Discussion

Poll

If I can take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT and still graduate on time, would it be wise to do so?

Yes
30 (45.5%)
No
36 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

"Ludicrous" to take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT?

Re: "Ludicrous" to take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »
people wanting to do things like this just puts emphasis on how the LSAT is a poor predictor of intelligence.  Some kid can take 3 months to do nothing but study, and get a good score, then appear to be smarter than the single mom that studies through the night, or the undergrad that works 30 hrs per week and studies on lunch breaks.  It just shows that the LSAT, and thus law school admissions, is too heavily influence by the availability of money, which buys time (and prepcourses).  

I dont know how you could study that much anyway, to me it just sounds like a half-baked excuse to do nothing on daddy's dollar for a few months.

Anyone who does this deserves an atomic wedgie.

Really?  What if he studies hard all semester and scores very high on the lsat?  I'll bet a big law school scholarship would make daddy VERY happy.:) 

I would attend school but take easy elective classes and only around 12 credit hours.

Reign

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 11:41:16 PM »
I would attend school but take easy elective classes and only around 12 credit hours.

I didn't take a semester off to study. But I reduced my course load. I'm not a morning person so I had to test in June. I took like 12 credit hours on MWF. I figured I'd prep a few hours on TUTH. Hmm...I did prep some. But I think I slept and made fun of day time TV more than anything. I picked up the pace about 6 weeks before the test. Which is what people that don't take time off do. So...
===
Softball Question..."Were your studies interrupted..."

"Why yes. I took a quarter off to study for the lsat."

Admission Ninja looks at the score. Hmm...a whole quarter off to study and he couldn't be bothered with getting 180.

Now...your application is mulch.

TheCanadian

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 11:46:24 PM »
I told my mom and dad that I planned to take a quarter off of school next year to study for the LSAT, and they looked at me like I was crazy.  They said that my cousins didn't take time off school to study for the MCAT or LSAT, and therefore I shouldn't have to.  I, on the other hand, think that it would be very beneficial and would help me study if I didn't have to take classes at the same time as studying for the LSAT.  What are your thoughts?

I took off the fall term to study for the LSAT, but that was because I had taken extra courses over the spring so I wouldn't be short any credits once I started again in winter term. I wanted the Fall to be a relaxing time to study since I had taken courses right through to summer for my first 2 years, and felt I deserved a bit of a break. I just dont think I would have been able to juggle working, school courses and my health issues while studying for the LSAT.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2006, 12:41:07 PM »
Bouzie1982, is that Mrs. Garrett/Charlotte Rae in your avatar? No, I don't want to sleep with you.  ;)

I would not recommend taking a quarter off just to study for the LSAT. Sounds great in theory... But you know as well as I know as every other LSD'r knows that you are not going to spend 8 hours a day, 5-6 days/week committed to LSAT study. You'll study an hour here or there and maybe on the weekend, sleep in until noon and party like a rockstar, because heck, you have nine weeks to rock out the LSAT. That's just stupid. How do I know this?  Because that is what basically anyone else would do in the same situation. I take it you have a full ride to school through mom and dad or scholarships, so you don't need to pay for your room and board, schooling, test prep or entertainment money. Pretty sweet deal.

Drop a campus activity and free up some time, take one less class and take an LSAT prep course. Get it done. Having the structure of school work or even a PT job will help keep you on schedule.