Law School Discussion

Poll

If I can take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT and still graduate on time, would it be wise to do so?

Yes
30 (45.5%)
No
36 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

"Ludicrous" to take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT?

Re: "Ludicrous" to take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 12:20:08 PM »
I think you shouldn't approach studying for the LSAT like a job. Approach it like a hobby, make it second nature. Do it in the same way people do sudoku puzzles. Make it fun, and it'll be easy.

warholmuse

• 'I'd rather have a bottle than a frontal lobotomy'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 01:16:20 PM »
I think you shouldn't approach studying for the LSAT like a job. Approach it like a hobby, make it second nature. Do it in the same way people do sudoku puzzles. Make it fun, and it'll be easy.

I agree completely.

I also think there's a limit to how much a person can improve, especially in Logic Games. If you don't get, you just don't get it.

I mean, prep courses and insane studying may often help a person improve, but if he/she is dim to begin with, then all those hours spent studying won't make that much of a difference.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 05:08:12 PM »
I think spreading it out in smaller blocks of time works better than trying the full-time study approach. I had no choice but to do the latter for a month and even in that time period I got really burned out. I can't imagine doing it for a full quarter, nor do I think this is a wise idea.

When I first started studying I was waiting for my full time job to kick and thus only had 20 hours of work (and no school) per week.  I thought I should use all the freetime to my advantage and really work the LSAT.  Turns out it was entirely *too much* time, and I wasn't even filling all the normal working hours I wasn't working with studying.  Thinking you can or should study that much just exagerates how difficult it is or how much is riding on your score.  ...Plus it gets boring.   

I do think money can provide an advantage (as it can in nearly every aspect of Western life) -- nobody would argue hours of private tutoring from someone who scored a 180 would be detrimental -- but on something like the LSAT I don't think your financial investment is what makes or breaks you.  It can swing your score a few points, but it makes the least amount of difference after your innate intelligence and your ability to motivate yourself to put the hours in and practice (and practice efficiently).  I put about $80 into prep materials, and I honestly do not think my scores would be different had I spent $1200 on Powerscore.  My PT scores went from 150 on the first one to 175 on the last one, and I spent basically nothing.  (What I actually scored is another issue, but once you're in the test room you're on your own either way.)

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »
I think spreading it out in smaller blocks of time works better than trying the full-time study approach. I had no choice but to do the latter for a month and even in that time period I got really burned out. I can't imagine doing it for a full quarter, nor do I think this is a wise idea.

When I first started studying I was waiting for my full time job to kick and thus only had 20 hours of work (and no school) per week.  I thought I should use all the freetime to my advantage and really work the LSAT.  Turns out it was entirely *too much* time, and I wasn't even filling all the normal working hours I wasn't working with studying.  Thinking you can or should study that much just exagerates how difficult it is or how much is riding on your score.  ...Plus it gets boring.   

I do think money can provide an advantage (as it can in nearly every aspect of Western life) -- nobody would argue hours of private tutoring from someone who scored a 180 would be detrimental -- but on something like the LSAT I don't think your financial investment is what makes or breaks you.  It can swing your score a few points, but it makes the least amount of difference after your innate intelligence and your ability to motivate yourself to put the hours in and practice (and practice efficiently).  I put about $80 into prep materials, and I honestly do not think my scores would be different had I spent $1200 on Powerscore.  My PT scores went from 150 on the first one to 175 on the last one, and I spent basically nothing.  (What I actually scored is another issue, but once you're in the test room you're on your own either way.)

What do you think went wrong on your test?  I am scoring around 173-179 and I do not want the same thing to happen in Feb.

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 05:28:50 PM »
What do you think went wrong on your test?  I am scoring around 173-179 and I do not want the same thing to happen in Feb.

I took the Sept test ill which definitely didn't help anything (especially as I thought I *had* to eat a full breakfast and the scrambled eggs weren't doing my any favors by the second section) but I was also just stressed.  The first session was unexpectedly difficult, and that pretty much blew my confidence for the rest of the test.  I made some stupid errors (missed a game inference, misread a couple LR questions, etc).  Unfortunately it doesn't take much to drop ten points from your practice average in that situation (I went into it around ~171, scored a 161).

I didn't study much at all for Dec, just took a few PTs and scored around 175.  Scores aren't in, obviously, but I felt a lot better about it the second time around.  This is my MO, though -- I took the SAT twice with no prep for either test and went from the 88th to 99th percentile.  I definitely don't expect to make this sort of jump on the LSAT, but it's pretty normal for me to suck on standardized testing when I'm nervous and do just fine when I'm relaxed.  ...Like most people, I guess :)

...So if you're not the sort of person to let a couple harder questions get to you and gnaw on you the rest of the test, you're probably fine.  If you are... well, no words of wisdom here besides allow yourself a retake if it comes to that.

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 06:29:41 PM »
Okay, maybe someone who takes a quarter off of school to study the LSAT is spoiled. Maybe life isn't fair, and especially isn't fair for single working mothers. Maybe the LSAT really is a poor predictor of intelligence, and by extension, those who were able to succeed on their LSATs without the priviledge of taking time off are obviously superior.

But why should he give a *&^%?

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 07:58:21 PM »
When I saw the topic, I thought the guy who wrote "I Got Hoe's In Different Area Codes," was going to law school.

Yeah, this topic couldve been prefixed by a "is it"

Bouzie1982

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 09:15:40 PM »
The title also says "to take a quarter off school"  Didn't think it was too likely ludicrous was enrolled in college.

warholmuse

• 'I'd rather have a bottle than a frontal lobotomy'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 11:29:29 AM »
When I saw the topic, I thought the guy who wrote "I Got Hoe's In Different Area Codes," was going to law school.

lol.

Already mentioned.  8)

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 11:36:50 AM »
Hey man! What's up? How come you don't come to lawschoolparadise that much anymore? I pm'ed you. You should stop by.......