Law School Discussion

Poll

If I can take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT and still graduate on time, would it be wise to do so?

Yes
30 (45.5%)
No
36 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

"Ludicrous" to take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT?

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: "Ludicrous" to take a quarter off of school to study for the LSAT?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
For a split second, i thought this thread was going to be about the rapper Ludicrus (I'm sure i spelled his name wrong) taking time off school to study for the lsat.

OMG me too!  :D

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 03:36:27 PM »
For a split second, i thought this thread was going to be about the rapper Ludicrus (I'm sure i spelled his name wrong) taking time off school to study for the lsat.

after re-reading the title i can see why. haha

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 03:57:07 PM »
I didn't give a yes or no simply because I'm unsure of what to tell you...Though I'm leaning toward no. You probably know your own study habits better than anyone on this board could, and I just got through a really busy semester while studying for the December LSAT and (think) I did fine. I know it's hard to do this (especially when you read through this board and start to second guess yourself) but I found that doing my best to not build the test up in my head was the best thing I ever could have done for my mental health...my worry levels were pretty low, and it STILL drove me insane (I think working on it over the last few months has stunted my personality a bit). I can't imagine devoting that much time to it!!

I'd suggest setting up a kind of study schedule that you can work around your school work with. While I made a schedule and didn't commit to it, I don't know what I'd do with my time if I only had the LSAT to study for. It would get a little excessive. If you're worried, I would suggest devoting a couple of hours a day (maybe a little more on the weekends) and working on one section at a time until you can time trial entire tests. If two hours a day sounds like a lot, it's not...Time goes super fast, and if you start early in the term you can build yourself up at a pretty good pace. Sorry this was long.

n/a

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »

Thirded

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 04:25:18 PM »
Alot of schools will ask you to explain any period of time when you discontinued your undergraduate studies.  Think about whether you want a sheet of paper in your file explaining that your took a whole quarter (what is this, like 10 weeks?) off to do nothing but LSAT.  If you are dead set on June, take a prep course, maybe take one less academic course than normal; I also took most of the semester off from my sport.  I probably could have studied more if I had waited 'till September but the prep course at least gave me a solid study schedule.

n/a

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »
Yea man... how much time do you put into an average course per week outside of class?  15 hours or so right?  Just take 1 or 2 less and use these 15-30 hours per week to do LSAT.

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 04:40:43 PM »
I think taking time off school just to study for the LSAT is totally lame.  Buck up...

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 04:40:56 PM »
I really think if I had nothing else to do besides LSAT (even if I had a pt job) I would have gone crazy.  You can only do so many logic games day after day...

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 05:13:29 PM »
Yeah, guys I went to high school with did this all the time.  It was no big deal.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 07:07:01 PM »
I don't think it's strange to take a quarter off if you're taking a prep course. When I took a course I had so much LSAT homework that there's no way I'd have time for classes as well. For every class, I would easily have like 100+ LR, 8-9 LGs, and a similar number of RCs, with maybe some drills thrown in.

It was worth it, doing this crazy amount of homework made me really good at the LSAT. :9