Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best schools for BIGLAW?  (Read 13087 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best schools for BIGLAW?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
Credit goes where credit's due; Columbia totally owns the V100 market. That may be self-selection, it may not - impossible to find out. But no other school, HYS included, places anywhere near as many graduates in V100 firms as CLS does.

This is probably self-selection -- I don't know anyone who really believes that CLS is preferred over HYS by biglaw hiring partners (though it's certainly not far behind).

However, this does raise an important point: If you want biglaw, and don't get into a top school, make sure you attend a respected program in a major urban area.  That's where both the large firms and your alumni base will be.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 05:38:26 PM »
Credit goes where credit's due; Columbia totally owns the V100 market. That may be self-selection, it may not - impossible to find out. But no other school, HYS included, places anywhere near as many graduates in V100 firms as CLS does.

This is clearly self-selection -- no one really believes that CLS is preferred over HYS by biglaw hiring partners (though it's certainly not far behind).

I'm not as certain about this as you are.

However, this does raise an important point: If you want biglaw, and don't get into a top school, make sure you attend a respected program in a major urban area.  That's where both the large firms and your alumni base will be.

This I agree more with :) And I didn't necessarily disagree with with the previous point either. Although, I don't see it as automatic that HYS goes before CLS in BigLaw.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »

This I agree more with :) And I didn't necessarily disagree with with the previous point either. Although, I don't see it as automatic that HYS goes before CLS in BigLaw.

I don't think there's a major difference between CLS (and Chicago) and HYS when it comes to biglaw placement.

However, HYS are generally somewhat more selective than other top schools, especially in the area of GPA and soft factors.  Also, they consistently get better reputation ratings in USNews.  It would therefore make sense for most firms to have at least a small preference for HYS grads. 

However, it's not worth arguing about it (further) for me, and I honestly don't know conclusively.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 06:14:53 PM »
Yeah, that is a point, but on the other hand Columbia has an explicit 'corporate' focus which also leads to them attracting the best faculty in that business. HYS is better overall, no doubt, but I got a feeling there's some specialization love for CLS, dunno. I'm not going to either of those schools, so makes no difference to me either.

That being said, I think 99% of the graduates from any of the top 6 schools can pretty much pick the type of job they want - even if they may not be able to pick the firm.

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 10:23:25 PM »

I don't think there's a major difference between CLS (and Chicago) and HYS when it comes to biglaw placement.

However, HYS are generally somewhat more selective than other top schools, especially in the area of GPA and soft factors.  Also, they consistently get better reputation ratings in USNews.  It would therefore make sense for most firms to have at least a small preference for HYS grads. 

However, it's not worth arguing about it (further) for me, and I honestly don't know conclusively.

There is a large difference on the V10 front.  As far as  placement at Big firms, the only difference is really on the coasts, and that difference is relatively minimal.  CCN places very well on both coasts, but HYS will get you a job at a V25 anywhere. The difference comes in Clerking and in academia, which is mostly a prestige aspect.  If you want to practice law at a large firm, you will be fine coming from CCN.  However, if you are obsessed with prestige OR want to either clerk with a top judge in a top market or want to teach, HYS will  be more beneficial  than many board indicate.  I am a law student who has interviewed in over fifteen cities, and I can legitimately say that the difference comes in the clerking.  If you want to clerk on most compettive markets, say NY or Cali, HYS will give you many more options than CCN.  However, given the recent increase in starting salaries, clerking is starting to diminish in desire.  A post on this board could easily be dedicated to whether it is worth it to clerk in today's market, given the opportunity cost.  Its a very interesting discussion.  If you want to work in corporate law, I would seriously think about taking a CCN scholarship over HYS becuase the cost is substantial in the market today.  If you want to work  in BIGLAW and don't really care about clerking or academia,  I seriously would consider taking a scholarship at CCN.  Just an FYI.  Out of  any of the top 5 schools though, you shouldn't really worry about job prospects, unless you are committed to Watchell. The rest of the firms will go very deep into the class at the T5.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »
Well, Wachtell and I assume Cravath to some degree will only pick top of the class, no matter what school you attend. I'm pretty sure you're right in what you're saying. As for getting V25 jobs anywhere, there's only 4 V25 firms on the west coast in total, everything else is Chicago and eastwards so I wouldn't worry too much about that :)

Just out of curiosity, why did you interview in 15 cities? No preference at all where you want to work?

james_pku

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 09:47:32 AM »
By the way, would anyone explain why Vanderbilt students perform so well in getting into Biglaws (even better than some of the top14 law schools)?
Thanks a lot.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 10:03:49 AM »
By the way, would anyone explain why Vanderbilt students perform so well in getting into Biglaws (even better than some of the top14 law schools)?
Thanks a lot.

As noted, Biglaw largely depends on ratings/reputation, and Vandy is just outside of the T14 in rep/ratings, so it's obviously going to do pretty well.

However, I wouldn't say it does better than any T14's -- do you have an example?

Also, Vandy's placement is more regional than the T14's, although it does have a semi-national rep, just like UCLA, UT, USC, GW, etc.

GOB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »
As for getting V25 jobs anywhere, there's only 4 V25 firms on the west coast in total

There are only four V25 firms with their main offices in West Coast cities, but many V25 firms have LA/SF/SD/SV/OC offices.
Boalt 3L

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »
Thanks a lot.

As noted, Biglaw largely depends on ratings/reputation, and Vandy is just outside of the T14 in rep/ratings, so it's obviously going to do pretty well.

However, I wouldn't say it does better than any T14's -- do you have an example?

Also, Vandy's placement is more regional than the T14's, although it does have a semi-national rep, just like UCLA, UT, USC, GW, etc.

Vandy's placement is not regional at all. It probably has the best national reach of any school outside of the T14. Only 46% of their students stayed in the Southern US from the Class of 2006. They place well not only in the South, but in LA, DC, and NYC.

T14 is obviously the best for BigLaw, but Vandy, UCLA, GW, USC, Fordham, and Texas all offer great BigLaw opportunities that aren't has geographically limiting as people want to believe (especially at Vandy and Texas).
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.