Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: asked for lor three months ago, and still not in!  (Read 901 times)

jumpyoulikeabattery

• AOL Instant Messenger - pm+me
    • View Profile
asked for lor three months ago, and still not in!
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:08:58 PM »
I'm so frustrated.  I asked my advisor three months ago to write an LOR, and he said he would have it in by Thanksgiving.  After thanking him for writing the letter last week, he told me he didn't get around to it yet!  He then said he'd have it in this week... but for some reason I'm seriously doubting that.

But perhaps I shot myself in the foot by only asking two professors to write LORs.  My other LOR came in over a month ago.

I have all my apps done but I'm just scared to submit them and request the reports without two solid recs.  However, I know it's starting to get late in the cycle.

Anyone apply with one LOR?  Where?  I'm especially interested in hearing about admits from the last cycle.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: asked for lor three months ago, and still not in!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:04:37 PM »
It's so weird. The same exact thing happened to me this cycle. I asked at the beginning of September. My recommender also told me he'd do it over Thanksgiving even though he had made other promises prior and broken them. I went ahead and sent off all my apps in September and October without his letter because I trusted he would have it in. I applied everywhere I wanted. I had another letter but it was not a faculty letter therefore I still have not gone complete at Cornell. But after talking to the admissions people at UVA I found that if another letter comes in after they complete your app and the have already finished reviewing it, they will review it all over again while taking the new letter into consideration. I don't know if they would do that everywhere though. I wouldn't stress it too much. I am in the same exact situation. Maybe you should see if there is someone else you can ask. I did that but mine just sent his off yesterday (3 months late >:() Hopefully some people on here will be able to give you some good advice though.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 12:06:41 AM »
That really stinks.

That said, it is your responsibility to stay on your recommenders until they submit. There is a fine line to walk between harassing the prof. and staying politely interested.  But you have to walk that line!

Good luck!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:36:04 PM »
The same thing happened to me. I finally had the president of a local community service organization for which I volunteer write one. I'm sure it's not the best letter, but I didn't want to wait any longer to go complete. Whatever happened to the OP? Could you get someone to write an emergency LOR just so you can be complete?