Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to Explain a Underage Drinking Arrest? :)  (Read 839 times)

that_guy

• View Profile
How to Explain a Underage Drinking Arrest? :)
« on: December 07, 2006, 03:14:43 AM »
so i'm sure i'm not the only one in this situation.  how have others explained minor underage drinking arrests (no conviction)?  i've noticed some schools want to not only know of any convictions, but also arrests that never resulted in convictions.  any advice on how to sugarcoat this? 

thanks

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to Explain a Underage Drinking Arrest? :)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:46:13 AM »
I had to write an addendum for an alcohol citation that was dismissed strictly due to the rediculousness of the officer writing the citation in the first place (drinking a beer in Times Square on New Years).  I did exactly as the above posters wrote: if they asked "have you ever been convicted?" I just checked no.  If they asked "have you ever been charged/accused" I checked yes, then wrote an addendum simply stating the date of the citation, the charged offense and the fact that all charges were dismissed.  My approach is to avoid frivolous details/explanations/excuses and just give them the honest information. They are likely only asking these questions to ensure that you could pass the bar, and I don't see the bar turning anyone down for an underage drinking citation. 

Of course, I haven't seen any acceptance letters yet, so take my advice with several grains of salt ;-)