Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A list  (Read 738 times)

letsgomets

• View Profile
A list
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:49:22 AM »
How did you come up with an original list of law schools to apply to?  In looking at interests and career plans, I'm sure everyone's lists would represent USNWR's rankings to some degree; I'm looking for schools where I'll be competitive.  Focus on schools where you're above the median numbers?  75th?  What's a good guide for starting out, and how exactly does one come up with a realistic list of schools?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: A list
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 01:57:35 AM »
How did you come up with an original list of law schools to apply to?  In looking at interests and career plans, I'm sure everyone's lists would represent USNWR's rankings to some degree; I'm looking for schools where I'll be competitive.  Focus on schools where you're above the median numbers?  75th?  What's a good guide for starting out, and how exactly does one come up with a realistic list of schools?

3 factors

1) your interests
ex. I like environmental law, so I looked for schools with environmental law journals and clinics.

2) your numbers ... just like undergrad you need some target, reach and safety schools.  Use LSAC to get the numbers for this, and to look at the charts (if provided) of apps/ admits in your numbers category

3) reputation
sure this matters, but USNWR is not the be-all end-all of reputation.  You should have a rough idea of where you would like to practice (at least to start off) and apply to schools in that region.

NEXT DAY EDIT: I wrote this drunk.  I don't even know why I had the urge to LSD while drunk, but hey...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

spicealicious

• Sr. Citizen
  • The LSAT is the work of the devil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 02:46:08 AM »
I concur.

Lew31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 08:38:56 AM »
Agreed.

Ipsa Dixit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 10:39:45 AM »

I agree as well. 

The school I am most interested (pretty much the only one I am interested in applying to, actually) in places a good percentage of students in the area where I want to be employed and is in the city where I want to live.  It ranks in low Tier 2 in USNWR, but I know that in the city, it is quite well regarded. 

With my numbers, I could probably get into a T1 (though not likely T14), but I don't really care, because I don't think that will really help me.  Also, Biglaw is not my goal, which is a factor too.  I don't really need "name brand recognition" outside of the city where I want to live.
'tis herself!

bill612mass

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:57:22 PM »

3) reputation
sure this matters, but USNWR is not the be-all end-all of reputation.  You should have a rough idea of where you would like to practice (at least to start off) and apply to schools in that region.

I would stress the location/region part...as someone who is a bit older and already tried the moving to other coast thing - it can be scary to suddenly realize that you hate (Sorry...) California!  For me - that significantly narrows my list since I know I want to stay in New England/New York.  I would hate to me a great student who got into a "great" school only to realize that I hated the city and never wanted to practice there.  I guess the on exception is that if you can get into a top T1 school, then you will have much more fliexibility with where you can go.  But don't forget about the 3 years during school...will you be away from family/friends, what if you meet someone who has no interet in leaving, etc. - Good Luck!

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 04:39:59 PM »
Try to keep some perspective on how long ago Goetz did his thing.
Crime rates in NY are much lower now than they were then.
Not that the "perps"--and even the cops--are averse to
popping one off now and then, but it's nowhere near the Dodge City it was back in the day.

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »
I started at Yale and I went on down the list to Georgetown.

spicealicious

• Sr. Citizen
  • The LSAT is the work of the devil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 11:05:50 PM »
I started at Yale and I went on down the list to Georgetown.

Oh yea.. this is a good idea. Let's just pick the top schools.. who cares if I hate the location or they don't have the program I'm interested in.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 12:06:18 AM »
I basically picked about 5 locations I really enjoyed living in in the past (I've moved around a lot) and then started finding law schools in that region.  From there, I looked for schools that offered programs and courses in my field of interest (International Human Rights, Dispute Resolution, anything Middle Eastern or having to do with religious traditions).  The schools that didn't have programs like that, I cut out of my list.  That left me with about 15 schools that I ended up applying to.

Now, I was pretty lucky because my list included about 6 reaches, 5 targets, and 4 safety schools based solely on numbers.  So I'm probably going to get a lot of rejections, but hey, you never know.  It would've been harder if all the schools in the regions I'd wanted to move to were top 30 schools.  I would've had to move on to Plan B, and I don't have a Plan B, so that would've sucked.  ;D
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)