Law School Discussion

Poll

Who has a better chance of making history by winning the basketball and football championships in the same year?

Ohio State
19 (57.6%)
Florida
14 (42.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Who has the better shot at the double championship this year?

ThatGuy84

Re: Who has the better shot at the double championship this year?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 09:01:32 PM »

Did I say anything about BCS?  In order to beat a ranked team, the team must be ranked when you beat them.  If you beat a team that is not ranked at the time, you are not beating a ranked team.  Understand?

Beating a ranked team and having beaten a team that is now ranked are completely different.  Not to say that the latter isn't valuable, but don't claim my statements are incorrect when, in fact, they are not.

In any case, by your alleged BCS standards, OSU has only beaten two opponents who are now ranked: Michigan and Texas.  Florida has beaten four, three of whom are in the top 15.

Mr. Plum, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

ThatGuy84

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 09:08:34 PM »
I'm sure the Wolverines rush defense really had to be good to hold Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, Northwestern, Ball State, and Indiana to low rushing yards.  We won't even get into how terrible Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota were this year.

Wow...just wow.  I wouldn't have written those other two responses if I had seen this earlier.  Only an idiot would say something so stupid. 

EDIT: I keep reading this page of posts and I keep wondering, "Is this person even a football fan or are they just a bandwagon student?"

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »
I agree that Florida deserves to be in the game because they had a one-loss season with a murderous schedule, but I don't know why some people are discounting what OSU accomplished this year on the basis of their schedule.  They did this: lined up and systematically dismantled everybody they played...to the tune of ONLY TWO games being single-digit wins (and most people would agree those two games weren't that close).  Florida, on the other hand, could have easily lost to Tennessee and S. Carolina and had a lot of trouble putting away Georgia, FSU, and Bama...not to mention that they actually lost a game.  All of this while keeping in mind that OSU has more overall talent at virtually every position (subjective) makes it easy to see why they are the clear favorite.

By the way, Michigan was really good this year.  Anybody saying their defense wasn't absolutely nasty might as well be shouting "I DIDN'T WATCH THEM PLAY UNTIL I SAW THE OSU/MICHIGAN GAME!"

stephygator

• I don't use the word "hero" very often...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 09:24:13 PM »
Here's why Florida is going to win:

1. Chris Leak is America's son
2. Urban Meyer is a fox
3. Reggie Nelson is part human, part football-seeking cyborg
4. Because

Only a true fan can support her team without resorting to logic. The gators will win because I love them and I said so :)

ThatGuy84

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 09:35:13 PM »
Here's why Florida is going to win:

1. Chris Leak is America's son
2. Urban Meyer is a fox
3. Reggie Nelson is part human, part football-seeking cyborg
4. Because

Only a true fan can support her team without resorting to logic. The gators will win because I love them and I said so :)

This is fine as long as you acknowledge it.  Though, I have to say, the fact that Florida consistently emphasizes their backup QB as a reason they will win is a bit disturbing.  I've seen what he can do and everything but this doesn't change the fact that your starting quarterback threw a frickin shovel pick six.

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 09:36:49 PM »

This is the correct argument for Florida fans to make...irrational fans are tough to argue with.  This is precisely the type of thing I hear from Buckeye fans all year long around here and I learned to stop fighting it about a decade ago.  Except this time, those homers are right.  There have been much bigger upsets in the past, however, so I would not be totally surprised if your Gators pull it off

ThatGuy84

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 09:43:01 PM »

This is the correct argument for Florida fans to make...irrational fans are tough to argue with.  This is precisely the type of thing I hear from Buckeye fans all year long around here and I learned to stop fighting it about a decade ago.  Except this time, those homers are right.  There have been much bigger upsets in the past, however, so I would not be totally surprised if your Gators pull it off

To be fair, they were pretty damn good a decade ago; although, I do agree that the folks in Columbus are pretty irrational.

dennycrane

• My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 06:34:40 AM »
Aren't you forgetting that florida is already half way there?

Uhh, no they aren't.

Uhh, yes they are. Have you forgot they won the 2006 NCAA Tournament? If they win the 2006 National college football championship, then they would have a double championship (the subject of this thread). Lets see, Florida needs 2 championships this year to make it a double, they have already won 1 ... 1 out of 2 ... hmm ... i think i am going to have to refer to my differential equations book .... ahh yes 1 out of 2 is half (1/2 if that helps, 50% if that does it for you). SO, Uhh yes they are.

dennycrane

• My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 07:06:24 AM »
in terms of academic year: they won basketball in 2005-2006. texas won football. florida would have to win both in 2006--2007.

in terms of calendar year: thet won basketball in 2006. the footbal game against OSU has been given the title Tostitos BCS National Championship: Arizona 2007 (for it will be played in 2007)

Florida is NOT halfway there

god this is going to get painful.

yes you are right they could not be double champions in an academic year (by the way when you do your taxes tell uncle sam you are basing your income off the academic year, let me know how that turns out). but if you go to the NCAA athletic website and look at the list of past division I Football national champions (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html) they have Texas as the champions for 2005. Wow you better call them and tell them that Texas is not the champion for 2005, rather 2006, they would probably appreciate it. It does not make sense that the team who wins this game is the 2007 National Champion when the 2007 college football season has not even started! Oh I dont think you disagreed, but if you go to NCAA website and look at past basketball champions (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html) florida is the 2006 champions. SO according to the NCAA (for what thats worth), if Florida wins this game they will be both football and basketball champions for 2006. Wait i didnt underline and italicize things, my argument must not be convincing. 

dennycrane

• My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 08:16:47 AM »
Yep, you're right. They can win the 2006 Final Four (for a season that played in 2005 and 2006) and the 2007 National Championship game (for a season that was played in 2006). Taxes? I think you're trying too hard. You have to decide academic year or calendar year. You can't have the best of both worlds. If academic year, the 2006 Final Four can't be counted toward this. If calendar year, you have to used the year the game was played in given the nature of basketball season. If not, the 2007-2008 basketball champion could claim double championship if their football team won in '07 or '08.

that wasn't painful at all. i actually found it to be quite waek.

PS: underlined for organization. italicized because i was pointing out that it's the official title of the game.

ok, ill foward your argument to the NCAA. and i am done with this, we'll agree to disagree, i have civ pro to study for.